Cooling problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling problems...

Lately my car, a 96 3.8 Camaro, has been running hot. I just replaced my heater core during the summer, and when I checked my coolant on Monday, it was in bad shape. So flushed refilled the radiator, hoping that would help. Well it still runs hot. It never overheats, but it just runs warmer than normal. During the heat of the summer, it would still stay around 180-185, now it will go up to 210 while still moving. There is also a noticeable coolant smell, I'm guessing from it getting too hot and overflowing. What could the cause of the heating fluctuations be???

Thanks guys
    1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

My first ideas would be thermostat, air in the system, or gelling of the antifreeze in the rad. the last being most uncomon. This would also be because of outsid econtaminnants in the system. Also get a pressure check done to the system as this may also contribute to overheating.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Also, you may need a new radiator cap-it needs to keep a good seal, and if the gasket is not sealing properly, it could cause you some problems-

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

I'm leaning towards the thermostat myself... Would there be any real & noticeable difference with a 160° thermostat? And as far as replacing the thermostat, not too complicated, no?

Checked the radiator cap first. The radiator is only 3 or 4 months old, new radiator cap as well.
        1996 Camaro- L36, 5 spd, intake, Pacesetter headers, Flowmaster 80 series

My name is George, and I am an audiophile.

Anyone interested in an Xtant X603 multi-channel amp? Let me know...

Comment

I belive its as easy as unbolting the water neck from the engine and replacing the thermostat re-filling coolant and do a air test and check for leaks then drive.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror