I think my WS6 got angry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my WS6 got angry

Like Ken, I don't drive mine very often. most of the time it sits in the garage with a cover. This past week, I've been taking it out in the mornings to drive my son to school. He likes pulling up in a hot rod so the other kids gawk. A little hot rodder after my own heart. Having a vacation day yeasterday I decided to take it out to do a few errands and to pick my son up from school. The car felt like it was a hair sluggish. I hooked up the g-tech to get a baseline and it reads high 13s and it definately didn't have the upper rpm punch. Time for some diagnostics, or so I thought. I continued on my way. Picked up my son, stopped off at the bank to get some cash and what do I see across the street? A couple of the new Mustangs. I had to swing in there to check them out. There was a host of Saleens, older GTs and a couple of brand new coupes and one GT that was already sold. I have to say the build quality of the new mustang appears to be far ahead of the older models. I would actually consider a regular V6 coupe as a beater. The GT is nice, makes noise, doesn't go as fast as it should for the price but a decent car. Then it happened.........

As they put away the GT and throw me a rev or two, I fire up the T/A and it does it's usual snarl. Then it starts running terrible. It won't hold idle, barely responds to the throttle but no ses light. I pull out my scanner, no codes but the short term fuel correction is pegged. The computer is trying to add fuel. Nothing I do makes a difference. Let me tell you, the Ford dealer is a hellova place for the car to die. Had to suffer through being a captive at a new car dealership for two and a half hours for the tow truck to arrive. Ironically I tried to car a couple of times and when the temps finally came down, she fired right up. I still had it towed back to the house, I didn't want to risk getting stuck on the road. It appeared to be low fuel pressure. Changing the fuel pump is going to stink.

Funny thing is that while the car was stuck there, after a few minutes of jokes, I was getting all kinds of questions about the car. Modifications, etc. None of the salesmen could believe the car has 136K miles. They all swore (not knowing the differences in body style) the car was an 02. With all the Zaino, the car had better gloss than their new stuff. Even though it left me stranded, there were more people standing around the T/A than the new Mustang. I think the T/A got peeved at being parked at the Ford dealer. As soon as it was sure it wasn't going to be traded, she fired right up. Let me tell ya, having your GM ride break down at a Ford dealer rates right up there with assembling an engine in a sandbox.

i would have cried if my z28 broke down in front of a dealership
    1997 Camaro Z28 Pacesetter Long tubes, ORY-Pipe, Accel 30# Injectors, MSD Cap & Rotor, MSD Super Conductor Wires, NGK Irdium TR55IV Plugs, and Borla Catback. Madtuner Tune, SLP High/Low fan switch, NGK o2 sensors

New Longblock at 110,947 and everything above.

Comment

Bummer. Sounds like the pump is crapping out on you. If I were to do mine again, I would cut the access panel in the floor......to big of a PITA to try and get that thing out through the bottom. If you do it right, you can make it (the panel) look nice....even though it will never be seen.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Joe, check the link out

Saw a really nice access door for the fuel pump at SLP day. I happened to get paired up with a red SS that went 10.60 on the juice. So when they called us back up I had a few moments to chat with the guy, turns out he was with pcmforless. He told me to stop by their tent afterwards, because the lanes started to move. After losing my race to an LS1 by 2tenths of a sec on a crappy run, I went over to talk with him.

Since I am clueless on air/fuel, I showed him my dyno from the night before, and he told me I was Dangerously Lean! So we got talking about fuel delivery, and he suggested a bigger pump. He showed me where to cut for the pump, and best of all... He had an aluminum (mabey brushed?) trap door, with a lid that opens by a screw! Needless to say I decided then this was definately what I was going to order when I do the fuel pump upgrade. He gave me the company, and I found a black and white drawing of it on their website. I wish it was a real pic, not a drawing. There are a few sizes, but I don't know which one is the best fit. They are very reasonably priced too! Personally I would rather not cut a big hole in my car unless I absolutely had to, and removing all the suspension, etc... is out of the question. So I am definately going this route, looks very clean and professional.

Just thought I would share. (I know, I tend to ramble a bit, just excited )
        Take a look at the link...

Slick looking fuel trap door

- Also - If anyone could help give me advice on my air/fuel from my dyno sheet, could you let me know please. I put it into a pdf, but even compressed it is too big to post.
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Formulaboy, what were your air/fuel ratios?
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

thats a gr8 story, though, Joe! i enjoyed that. sorry she pulled that one on ya though.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

N20LT4Bird - Easier if I send ya the pdf...

It has the 3 runs on it.
              1- Baseline N/A before Headers/exhaust, and a few other minor mods.
              2- 75 Shot N20
              3- 75 Shot N20

I PM'd ya for an email address, couldn't send it through the one here.
              Thanks
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Is your car's name "Christine" by any chance. You know she gets jealous when you look at other cars. How could you Joe, really?

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Dude, that majorly sucks!!! Heck, I've got a hard time keeping the Z and the GN in line. One wants a new accumulator bowl and the other is looking like she wants a new Opti. What's with the attitudes, seriously? lol Isn't there an adjustment knob under the hood somewhere?
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The odd thing is that I had some time this morning so I started her up, let it warm up, put it in drive and let her sit. She idled fine for about an hour. Fans went on and off several times, not a hint of anything wrong. I haven't taken it out for a drive yet, but pressure appears normal with no stumbling. Hmmmm....... Maybe I didn't get it hot enough to crap out, or perhaps an isolated incident. In any case, I better be on the look out for a fuel pump. 136K miles and it must be getting tired.

Comment

Working...
                    X