road surface vs tire wear...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road surface vs tire wear...

here's some fairly recent data for yall. shows what effect the road suface has on tire wear:

the average auto tire wear is now 44,184 miles (thats overall average yall)

thats for smooth asphault...
    now...

coarse asphault: 39,766
    concrete: 30,929
    stone block: 28,720
    poor asphault: 24,301
    country roads: 22,092
    curshed stone: 8,837

and yes, thats if you ran the tire the whole time on that particular suface..however, its gives you an idea what those surfaces are doing to your tires when you do operate on them.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

95% of my driving is poor asphalt and country roads maybe thats why I go through tires so quick or maybe its the torque .
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

All new ashphault here in my neck of the woods, so smooth...

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

mostly concrete and coarse asphault here , i love smoooth asphault
        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I wonder what shellrock/asphault does? Down here in Florida, many of the roads are made with that stuff and tire tread seems to vaporize before your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            I wonder what shellrock/asphault does? Down here in Florida, many of the roads are made with that stuff and tire tread seems to vaporize before your eyes.
            the worst...especially when it rains, broh.

tell you why: did 4 years of my passenger and light truck tire testing in san angelo, tx, at standards testing labs. the roads there are shellrock/asphault. what happens is, the sand (like fla.) blows across and fill all the millions of tiny crevaces at the road surface.. .when it rains, it washes those surfaces out to exspose (under a micro scope..you wont believe it) what looks like trillions of little daggers sticking up.........better wet traction..sure....cause its "snagging" your tread!!!! go up to ohio...duplicate the same scenerio, ie: same car, same curb weight, same air pressure, same ambient temps and humidity, eliminate the variables...run the test again and the same tire goes 15 - 22 k farther.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I've been saying this for years, now I have the data to back it up!

I absolutely despise tarred and chipped roads - more tire wear, less traction, increased noise. Blah!
              '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Wolfie, I must be running on cursed roads b/c I never get more than 20k on a set of tires. Of course, I drive like an animal.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

That's some cool info. Thanks for sharing.
                  LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X