upgrading my suspension with....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading my suspension with....

UMI performance products. Anything I should know about them? I really like the pricing, and the products LOOK solid, but you never know... I don't think the cheap prices reflect the product, I feel like I'm paying more for a product than just a brand name, like if I were to buy SLP or anything else big name. Any truth to that? I like the prices, but I'll pay double if other products are worth double the price.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

I haven't heard to much about them. So far I have eibach for springs and BMR for everything else.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

I don't know much about them either. I can vouch for BMR, I have the control arms, relocation brackets, adjustable panhard rod and adjustable torque arm. All good quality for a fair price. Spohn makes great stuff too.

Comment

I love my BMR suspension goodies! Expensive, but well worth the price. Definately satisfied with their products.
        1995 Firebird Formula
        (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

UMI Performance is one of our sponsors, and as such deserves to be looked at as a source for suspension products. In all honesty, you generally get what you pay for. UMI products appear to be a good, BASIC design, with low prices. They appear to be developing new products for our cars.

That said, I think that where to buy from may depend a little on the power level you expect to push your car to. For a stock, or a bolt-on setup up to 500HP, I don't think there is a lot of difference in the quality and design requirements of the products available from various manufacturers. You are not giving up much, if anything, by going with the lower price pieces.

But when you start to push into the higher performance region, you need to look at shops that can show you their products on high performance vehicles. BMR and Spohn can show you 8-second 4th Gens, using their products. I've personally participated in the buildup of one of the cars using the Spohn components, and I know the level of expertise, design and fabrication skill Steve Spohn put into making all those components work on a 3,525# car that ran 8.60@160+MPH.

My own personal choice has been the Spohn parts.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I decided to go with BMR. LMPerformance has a package deal for under $500 that includes LCA, Panhard bar, and Torque arm.

I don't plan on having a drag monster, 10 second car or anything. Maybe a high 11 low 12 second car. I don't plan on making over 500 HP.

Just doing heads, headers, intake, cam, and suspension.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just ask here. I have a 87 z-28 that I have a 93 LT1 in. Does it matter if I just get some normal 87 suspension upgrades or do I have to do something special? I would assume a suspension is a suspension and the only difference is how much HP one can handle but I just want to make sure. Sorry I'm a newb

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

The recommendations for suspension upgrades on the 4th Gen F-Bodys would also apply to the 3rd Gens. The rear suspension is virtually identical for both Gens, so the same parts fit, as far as springs, shocks, sway bar, panhard rod, lower control arms and LCA relocation brackets.

The difference is in the front. The 3rd Gens had a "strut" type suspension, while the 4th Gens use unequal upper/lower a-arms, with a coil-over shock. None of the front parts are interchangeable. But the theory on upgrades is similar.

The torque arm is a bit of a hybrid... the function is the same in both Gens, and the rear mount is the same in both. But the front mount is different between the two Generations, so you need a 3rd Gen specific torque arm. Sub-frame connectors are similar... the front connections are going to be different on the 3rd Gen, so you would need a 3rd Gen specific SFC.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                X