Bezel Removal - TRACEZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezel Removal - TRACEZ

Actually I figured it out 94formula told me you take it out from the back. lol He didn't say how though, but I figured it out. The green computer board pulls off just have to pry it up around the edges with a flat head screwdriver, and it pushes back on. I was working on getting mine out of the car today, and can't figure out how the bezel comes off that is over my old gauge. Any ideas? I have a guide with pictures for removing 1 out of a camaro, but firebirds aren't the same so it doesnt help much.

Anyone know how to remove the bezel, so I can put a differnet gauge in?
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

I've never had a firebird cluster apart, sorry.

I've always taken the Camaro one part from the front, but I suppose you could pry the board off the back as well. I'm glad you got it figured out.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

94 formula you know how to remove the bezel covering the gauge cluster? I don't want to just pull, and break it. I don't want to have to sell it, but I might have to if i cant figure it out. Today I had the lower panel out below steering wheel and the gauge fuse out. Then I took off 3 bolts underneath, but they might not have been necessary because the bezel wasn't coming off. Don't know what was holding it on. I would hate it if I broke it, so I quit and put it all back together.
      94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

yeah TraceZ is going to put my flamed face gages in MY car hahaha he just don't KNOW IT YET.. so brah how long would it take you to do that? Just like yours.. I like how you cut it out.. much better than not cutting...

AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
        Mods are:
        18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims
        Hot Wheels steering wheel cover
        Hurst Classic Shifter Ball with 6-speed pattern
        K&N CAI , I LIKE IT!! it REALLY does make a difference!

more pictures of the hooptie

Comment

First thing you want to do is remove the lower panel. Then remove the two bolts that hold the column up and lower the column. This will give you plenty of room so as not to scratch the plastic lens with the bezel clips. Once the column is down, the bezel will pry off. There are clips around the perimeter that hold it to the dash. Unfortunately, some of the clips can break off. They are held in place by a type of plastic rivet/weld. If any clips break off, JB weld will put them back on nicely. Once the bezel is off, you will see all the exposed screw that hold the cluster in place. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by SFC AL
            yeah TraceZ is going to put my flamed face gages in MY car hahaha he just don't KNOW IT YET.. so brah how long would it take you to do that? Just like yours.. I like how you cut it out.. much better than not cutting...

AL
            Remove the cluster and call me. I'll bring the tools!
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

EquatorHeat00 you have a PM. And do exactly what Joe said just take off the lower panel then gently pry it off. The first time I did mine it was really tight so I lightly pryed up one edge just enough to fit a quarter under it then did that on the top and bottom and the other edge. This helped it break free and also gave me a little more room to fit my fingers under there.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

What are you prying up with? flathead screw driver Can i take the bezel off after lower panel is off, or do i need to take some column bolts off first for more room? not sure where those are - ill look at it tomorrow morning

Comment

The bezel will come off without taking anything off it just helps to get some stuff out of the way. I just used my fingers to pull it back its not that hard. Mine had been in there for 10 years and just didn't want to budge except at the one corner I got it started thats why I stuck a quarter in there to keep it back when I pulled on the rest of it. Get some good sleep tonight and go at it tommorow you should have no problem.
                  1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

I now have a 155 mph gauge cluster INSTALLED with the correct odometer reading. I swapped odometers, and front lens pieces (because mine was in way better condition). Did it this morning. Things wen't smoothly except for a cut on my finger when taking the bezel piece off. None of the bezel connectors broke like you said Joe. Guess I got lucky. The look was worth the wound. lol (I was bleeding through the bandaid, but it stopped eventually.) Only payed 57.00 dollars total (shipping included) off of EBAY. Hopefully I can sell my old 1 for at least that much on EBAY, and it will be free.

Now I have another project to work on the drivers side headlight motor. Its been buzzing for 3 years now. Guess I'll look at those medal gears. My plastic 1 is stripped on both sides.

Comment

Nice job that you got it done Rick. I've had mine off a few times for various reasons including silver gauge overlays, and I ended up breaking a couple of the black clips. They're cheap and I ordered a dozen at the dealer. But the job is a lot easier if you lower the steering column like Joe said, and there is a lesser chance of scratching the lens cause you got more room to get it off. Anyway, I know you're already done with it, but this is mostly for the next guy who has to do it cause he is bored with his dash.

Comment

Yes, Joe warned me about scratching the lens. I'm glad he warned me, or I might have scratched it. I made sure I didn't. I kept my finger over the sharp medal piece on the bezel when taking it off. Its a tight fit. I just lowered the steering wheel with the lever as far as I could.

Comment

Working...
                        X