Had the Z dyno tested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had the Z dyno tested

It was a Mustang Dyno and car ran with stuff in sig.
    Run #1 261.53 HP 286.12 ft lb
    Run #2 262.27 HP 287.52 ft lb
    Run #3 264.10 HP 288.84 ft lb
    The car has 74,000 on it trans, engine
    HPP3 180* tuning
    89 octane
    Is this good for mhat i got or do i need a refresh(new motor
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Aren't our cars supposed to run on no less than 91 or 92 octane?
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I believe thats the recomended octane but it says you can use 89 but it will hurt performance. I believe the knock sensor tells the computer to retard the timing. Hence the performance loss. Or something like that.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Dude, run it on 91 at the minimum. Heck, 91 and octane booster will really wake her up.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I would definitely run a higher octane.......Amoco 93 stays in the FireFalcon
          DWS
          Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

For comparo, I dynoed my 94 Formula auto with 2.73's and only a 3" cat-back, and I made about 260 to the wheels.

You shouldn't run 89. Doesn't the car run like crap with that? I had someone put about 4 gallons of 89 in my car ONCE and it ran like crap.
            99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
              HPP3 180* tuning
              89 octane
              those are pretty decent numbers either way, you don't really have many engine enhancing mods and 89 octane is a big no no. Go back with some 93 in your car and see how you do

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
                HPP3 180* tuning
                89 octane
                Pretty good numbers on a LT1 considering it was a Mustang dyno. On a dynojet dyno you could expect to see 310-320 RWHP. And the dynojet numbers are much more accurate.

Those AS&M mids seem to work really well with mild NA LT1 setups.

Comment

The Z actually runs really well with 89 middle grade i actually ran 87 in her when i got it and ran well but then went to 89. Thats what i have always ran and seems to work but i def could try 93. It actually was after the dyno that i remembered that i still have one Platnium 4 spark plug in #7 and have a header gasket leak. Was The LT1 rated at 275hp at the wheels?or flywheel?
                  I LOVE COBRA'S -
                  THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

275 at the Flywheel

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                      For comparo, I dynoed my 94 Formula auto with 2.73's and only a 3" cat-back, and I made about 260 to the wheels.

I don't know how true this is but don't manual cars dyno better numbers do to less friction?
                      I LOVE COBRA'S -
                      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

From measurements I did, the M6 will lose about 13-14% on a relatively stock setup (percentage goes down as power goes up). I believe you will see about 3-4% more drivetrain loss with an A4.

Put a scanner on it, and see if you are getting any knock retard with the 89 octane fuel. If you are, its hurting your power.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                          Pretty good numbers on a LT1 considering it was a Mustang dyno. On a dynojet dyno you could expect to see 310-320 RWHP. And the dynojet numbers are much more accurate.

Those AS&M mids seem to work really well with mild NA LT1 setups.
                          I keep getting mixed reviews from people in the know on the mustang dyno. SOme say its way underrated, others say its accurate and the dyno-jet gives "make you feel better" horsepower numbers. I was expecting to see around 500 HP and 600 lb/ft on the dyno and I put down only 460/560 on a mustang dyno......so who the heck knows?
                          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                            I keep getting mixed reviews from people in the know on the mustang dyno. SOme say its way underrated, others say its accurate and the dyno-jet gives "make you feel better" horsepower numbers. I was expecting to see around 500 HP and 600 lb/ft on the dyno and I put down only 460/560 on a mustang dyno......so who the heck knows?
                            Sean I'm sure you are aware that their are fairly accurate formulas to calculate flywheel HP based on known constants such as cylinder head intake port flow, exhaust port flow, intake port velocity, exhaust port velocity, dynamic compression ratio, cam specs, valve size, intake manifold and TB flow, bore and stroke, fuel type, etc..

When experienced tuners and motor builders have crunched these numbers and come up with a calculated flywheel HP number then put the car on a Dynojet chassis dyno and of course assume for the drivetrain loss, the dyno jet shows very close numbers to the calculated HP. From what I've seen the Mustang dynos have shown anywhere from 14%-18% less RWHP than the dyno jet with similar weather conditions.

I would definitely put my money on the Dynojet.

Comment

i like to run 93 in my bird. Then i throw in a 10 point octane booster. that wakes it up.
                              -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

Working...
                              X