best oil grade for 100,000 miles plus LT1's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best oil grade for 100,000 miles plus LT1's

i use 10w40 mobil 1 "NON" synthetic motor oil. I put about 4,000 miles a year on the Z. its not my daily driver . one of my questions is should i run 10w30 or 10w40 ? my other question is, is it to late to start using synthetic motor oil ? what grade of synthetic should i run ?
    thanks for all your kind replies,
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

It will take several oil changes for the synthetic to fully take over the oil system, but its never too late to use it. I run 5w-50 full synthetic in my car and I change every 5000Km and it ususally comes out just a shade darker than when it went in. Worst I have seen is a dark brown, never black.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

That Valvoline High Milage stuff is pretty good they say. I use it in both my cars and one only has 50,000 miles. Also I wouold use a little heavier weight like 10w40, It will fill the gaps better in between the bearings and rings, remember those things have be rubbing together for 100,000 miles, the tolerences are greater now.
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

So 10w40 synthetic would be the best grade to use for my 110,000 mile LT1 engine????
        eddie
        1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
          So 10w40 synthetic would be the best grade to use for my 110,000 mile LT1 engine????
          eddie

I run 10w30 synthetic blend, but with 100k and the fact that you live in hot texas, you could run 10w40. Synthetic is superior motor oil and can be switched to at anytime with instant benifits. Keep the same oil change interval!
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

be advised that if you have any small leaks with dino oil, the leak will be a little bigger with synthetic. The molecule is a little smaller, supposedly Mobil 1 has a high mileage formula that has a seal conditioner/ sealer but I haven't seen it. FYI, high mileage formulas contain that seal conditioner to help with the leaks.

Comment

Be careful of the high milage\leak stoppers. Especially the ones that advertise to poor in with the oil to stop leaks. My dad had a cherokee and tried a few bottles of it and about 3000 miles later the oil pump went out. I put a new one in for him and the bottom of the oil pan had about half an inch of gunk on it and the pump was all clogged up and I'm guessing it was from the leak stopper.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

using synthetic oil how often do you change it??
                the same as regular oil 3 months or 3,000 miles ??
                i put around 1,000 miles every 3 months on my Z.
                thanks for all your insight on the oil thing....
                eddie in Hot texas...78* today......

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
                  using synthetic oil how often do you change it??
                  the same as regular oil 3 months or 3,000 miles ??
                  i put around 1,000 miles every 3 months on my Z.
                  thanks for all your insight on the oil thing....
                  eddie in Hot texas...78* today......
                  Synthetic oil has the same change interval that the dino stuff does. You change the oil because the additive package wear out (detergents, foam inhibitors, pour point depressants, etc). Synthetic oil has similiar additive packages and needs to be changed at the same interval. The oil doesnt wear out, the additives do.

I change mine at 3000 miles....synthetic blend. Unless its sitting in the garage for the winter and then I change it to the regular dino stuff to save some $$ before I put it away. Then I change it again as it comes out in the spring.
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                    Synthetic oil has the same change interval that the dino stuff does. You change the oil because the additive package wear out (detergents, foam inhibitors, pour point depressants, etc). Synthetic oil has similiar additive packages and needs to be changed at the same interval. The oil doesnt wear out, the additives do.

I change mine at 3000 miles.....
                    Bingo!

When I opened up my motor to do headgaskets at about 122K miles, The cylinders had no visible wear and the factory crosshatching was still there. Synthetic oil is definately more expensive, but from what I've seen in the wear and cleanliness... worth every dime. Maybe if I were storing it over the winter, I might go blended.

Comment

I've heard that once you switch to a full synthtic you can neve r go back to conventional oil. Is that true?
                      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
                        I've heard that once you switch to a full synthtic you can neve r go back to conventional oil. Is that true?
                        Nope...you can from conventional to synthetic and back again with no problems.
                        Joe K.
                        '11 BMW 328i
                        '10 Matrix S AWD
                        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
                          Can anyone say Marketing Ploy?
                          Oil companies

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims
                          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                          Custom Dual exhaust