I have an 87 camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an 87 camaro

Ok this is th deal i have an 87 camaro berlinetta(beautiful condition in and out) all the goodies cowl hood, B&M mega shifter, gauge pod, rims, custom paint.
    My girlfriend bought it from me and it has a 2.8 MPI V-6, her dad has a Blueprinted and balanced 355 with a turbo 350 auto trans. Will basically all i need is V-8 motor mounts and crossmember for trans and driveshaft?
    Are the cradles the same what else sticks out that you can think of?
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

I can't personally tell you, but I know TraceZ can. Let me see if I can find out what all he had to change when he did a V6 to V8 swap in his 3rd gen.

Here you go, I found this from a past post:

You will need:

engine - long block with valve covers, oil pan and timing cover
    harmonic ballancer
    ignition system (distributor & wires)
    fuel system (manifold and carb / injection)
    Fuel injection wire harness / PCM
    Transmission
    Radiator and hoses
    water pump
    power steering pump
    alternator
    accessory brackets / pulleys and belts
    engine mounts
    transmission crossmember
    exhaust manifolds
    y-pipe
    limited slip differential (I never had the $$ to do it, so it only spun 1 wheel)
    driveshaft
    front springs (the V8 is heavier and it will bottom out)
    Speedometer (yours only goes to 85??)
    Mine needed a entire new guage pod.. it had no tachometer.
    Some of this stuff doesn't apply to your swap, obviously.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by Benm109
      I can't personally tell you, but I know TraceZ can. Let me see if I can find out what all he had to change when he did a V6 to V8 swap in his 3rd gen.

Here you go, I found this from a past post:

You will need:

Some of this stuff doesn't apply to your swap, obviously.
      Correct. You'll also need a new guage cluster because the V6 tach won't work correctly with the V8. If your berlinetta has the digital guage cluster it might be hard to find a working V8 cluster. It is possible, but I wouldnt do it unless you really love the car. I regret the swap I did on my 86. It turned out nice, but was more trouble than it was worth.

That TH350 3-speed trans is going to make for REALLY crappy fuel mileage. You'll be cruising near 3,500+ RPMs watching the fuel guage drop like a rock.

I used a TH700r4 in mine. It least with the overdrive it got slightly better fuel economy.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

i was actually thinking of getting that totally autometer gauge cluster for the Camaro(no it doesn't have a digital dash). It is going to be a second car for my girlfriend and she wants to race it with me
        The car has electronic fans so will the radiator be ok for a while till more cash flow
        It has full length headers for a 68 nova poss work form her camaro?
        I LOVE COBRA'S -
        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
          i was actually thinking of getting that totally autometer gauge cluster for the Camaro(no it doesn't have a digital dash). It is going to be a second car for my girlfriend and she wants to race it with me
          The car has electronic fans so will the radiator be ok for a while till more cash flow
          It has full length headers for a 68 nova poss work form her camaro?
          It's been awhile, but if memory serves me right the V6 radiator would not work because the inlet and outlet are in the wrong places.

The Camaro will require headers specifically for a 3rd gen f-body. The nova headers will not fit.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks for all the info greatly appreciated
            I LOVE COBRA'S -
            THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

Working...
            X