gear change quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear change quote

how much does a gear change and everything i need included cost usually to get done. Any figures would be appreciated. I called the local trans shop and they said it could be as high as 1500. Im thinking GOD ****! he said that was only if alot of thigns were wrong to begin with. I just want to get an idea so when i do get this done i know im not getting ripped off.
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

If you've already got the parts (gears and install kit) it shouldn't cost you more than about $300. If I remember, that's about what mine cost me and I had some extra work done.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
      how much does a gear change and everything i need included cost usually to get done. Any figures would be appreciated. I called the local trans shop and they said it could be as high as 1500. Im thinking GOD ****! he said that was only if alot of thigns were wrong to begin with. I just want to get an idea so when i do get this done i know im not getting ripped off.
      Ludacris! You can find a ring and pinion set online for between $170-$200. Then I would also reccomend picking up a differential bearing kit. They run about $80-$90 and can be had at most major parts stores. Then the labor should run you no more than $225-$250 at the most. Experienced shops can install a bearing kit and ring & pinion in a few hours.

So roughly $550 should be all that you should spend. Do some calling around... you are sure to find someone experienced as well as reasonable.

Comment

Why dont you guys with the Automatics just find a Rear from a car with a Manual. They have 3.42's and can be found for 250$ or less.
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

3.42 wouldn't give much performance gain over the 3.23 already in the car. It might be a good alternative to the 2.73 cars. However, I think a 3.42 rear in an auto would be ideal if you're looking for a little more performance but want to keep the good fuel economy and high top speed. 3.73's always seemed a little too steep to me, but I do A LOT of highway travel.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

$200 gm motive gears
            $50 install kit
            $ 3 series carrier $100
            $200 labor
            $550 = total

eddie 95 Z28 A4 " love my 3.73's "
            1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

When I had thre rear 4.56 gears done in my Tahoe at a local driveline shop they only charged me $350 for parts, labor, and gear lube. The front 4.56's cost me a little more to the nature of the front differential.

Comment

thanks alot guys im gonna look around and see whats available. Is it better to go with Richmond gears or Gm automotive? I herd the richmond whine but thats because theyre made stronger ? Is this true? whats best? thanks
                -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

GM motives on mine for 3 almost years and no whine
                  one of the best gears you can get...
                  eddie
                  1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

There is a place here in KC that does them for 200. They do great work.
                    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Remember to figure in the cost of the PCM recalibration......that another 100 bucks. Might as well get it tuned for max performance if youre sending it out.
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                        Remember to figure in the cost of the PCM recalibration......that another 100 bucks. Might as well get it tuned for max performance if youre sending it out.

Good point!

Comment

Stage1 in North Jersey installed my 3.42's and rebuilt the rear differential for around $350. Did a great job too!!
                          Joe K.
                          '11 BMW 328i
                          '10 Matrix S AWD
                          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

you think that's bad

I went around tonight to a couple of the transmission shops in Billings, Montana and one place told me it would be about $1,200 to change my rear end gears and the other place told me that it would be between $2k and $3k. All i was thinking the whole time is "are these people crazy". I'm gonna do some calling around here in the next couple days for a few more quotes but if i can't find anybody cheaper than $600 i would just rather do it myself!
                            1993 Formula - 99k
                            Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

1200 is pretty steep, but it depends on the area youre in. If no one does high performance drivetrain stuff in the area, than those that do raise the price. At my Dad's trans shop, we get about 900 including the gears, set-up kit, labor, fluid, and PCM reprogramming. That a good buck, but our customers pay it, knowing they are done right and we back up our work.

If youve never done a gear set yourself, I would advise against it unless you have someone experienced helping you. Setting up the backlash and preload AND still coming up with a nice mesh pattern is an art. Not to mention you need a good set of calipers or a micrometer, dial indicator, an inch/lb and ft/lb torque wrench. If its not right, you will be sorry that you messed with it. Alot of us live with a bit of whine, depending on the gears we install, but you could chew up a set of gears or bearings if they are not installed right.
                              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                              X