throttle body bypass kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle body bypass kit

I was wondering what you guys thought about it, if anyone of you had it. Is it good/bad. And if it is alright where could I pick one up. thanks. John
    1987 Monte Carlo SS, Lightning rod equipped. edelbrock intake/carb, heddman headers, moog suspension, dual snorkle air cleaner, no comp/emissions. Body off restoration.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2167110

Just an FYI. http://shbox.com/1/tb_bypass.jpg
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Kit?

Just follow the directions above, or if you have a 93-94 just go the the hardware store and get a hose connector and a couple hose clamps. It might cost a whole $3.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

thanks, I read that that is supposed to add HP, is that true?
        1987 Monte Carlo SS, Lightning rod equipped. edelbrock intake/carb, heddman headers, moog suspension, dual snorkle air cleaner, no comp/emissions. Body off restoration.

Comment

Im not sure how much you will gain from it maybe a few HP. It just lowers the Intake Air temperature. This can be a hazard in cold areas where Ice can form on the intake, its not likely but posible,and freeze the throttle open. I have heard that it can give you up to 15 HP, but im on the fence about that one as the throttle body is very short and I believe the intake is tha part that heats up the air the most. Now if we could make a material that was impervious to heat, then make intakes out of it, then we would gain some HP

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Gain is 6.3HP and 7.1 lb-ft according to this dyno test at ws6.com. I've run without the coolant lines connected for 5 years, in temperatures as low as 0degF, and not experienced any problems with "icing". In 6 years on the various forums where the TB bypass has been discussed ad naseum I've hever heard of anyone having a problem. Maybe if you live north of the Arctic Circle....
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

How would it ice up anyways when your driving because of the heat being put off by the motor. I think it would be more likely to get iced up and stick shut when turned off when the coolant lines are hooked up because their would be more heat held in it thus more condensation.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Once the surface of the butterflies drops to 32degF or below, any moisture (humidity) in the air can freeze on them. You're more likely to have the blades at 32degF without the extra heat being input from the coolant. There isn't going to be any air moving over the blades when the engine is shut off, hence nothing to freeze.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'm not gonna drive the TA in the winter time anyway, so I wouldnt have to worry about it freezing. thanks guys for your help.

Comment

BMR makes a kit:

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyPerformance.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X