strange or motive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange or motive?

not too familiar with gears...but I'm researching...if you had to pick between the two and you have an auto...who would you go with???

I know SLP no uses Motive..........soooo, if it's good enough for SLP, I should be for me too...

But I learn that you get for what you pay for...and Strange tends to be higher in price...does that mean they are better for any given ratio/application?

Just pondering the idea of new gears...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

these rears are out of an S-10 pick up... our cars are "under reared".. you use anything but gm gears and your are going to get a whine..... some folks live with it.... i wouldnt. i put 4:10 (gm) in my comp ta... quiet as a mouse. proper set up is imparative.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
      these rears are out of an S-10 pick up... our cars are "under reared".. you use anything but gm gears and your are going to get a whine..... some folks live with it.... i wouldnt. i put 4:10 (gm) in my comp ta... quiet as a mouse. proper set up is imparative.
      Yeah, I did a search and one of the links was on yoru CampTA...I know proper set up is a must, so I'm gonna get a shop to do it when the time comes...

The whine you're talking about...is it annoying? Is it the whine you get when you reverse???

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Motive will be fine for a stock 10-bolt rear. The Strange gears are made by U.S. Gear.... their US/Strange ProStreet gears are excellent, but I think they might only make them in 8.825" for the 12-bolt.

If the install isn't done correctly, the "whine" can make a fire siren blush... depends how bad they set them up.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Another vote for Motive.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I have GM motives and they are great. I get a faint whine when i cruise for a long period of time at 55-60mph. My friend with a 95 z28 and my other friend with a 96 t/a both have strange the t/a has a4 410 and the z is a4 373 and they both sound terrible. It is really loud and obnocious. Go with gm motive. and what is the link for kens Comp T/A and is there a website dedicated to the Hawk. I love those cars.
            tom
            ps thanks for the rims again.
            1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

gm motive's all he way. 3 years almost and no problems ....
              eddie
              1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Motive
                DWS
                Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

Originally posted by purepwrta
                  and what is the link for kens Comp T/A and is there a website dedicated to the Hawk. I love those cars.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4013/re.html

thanks guys for the input....

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I've seen the extreme of both ends. I've heard improperly installed Moser rear gears sound like a tornado siren.

As long as the backlash and toe are setup with proper tolerances, the Motives should very quiet, and like mentioned above plenty sufficient in a stock f-body 10-bolt. I've also heard a set of gears made by a company called Precision run very quiet in a 10 bolt.

Moser and Strange ring and pinion gears are in fact stronger than the Motives or Precisions, but they obtain this strength mainly from the addition of extra nickel in the gears. This in turn makes them much noisier.

Comment

Working...
                    X