Holy Moses! Headlight prices...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Moses! Headlight prices...

Both my headlights went out this weekend. I thought it was odd and took my car the the Firestone place to check grounds and electrical system. Everything else worked fine. They say it's common for both lights to burn out at the same time. I've never heard of that. Then they said they'd be happy to replace them for $77 EACH!!

Apparently they only use GM parts and the list price is $77?!?!? I mentioned that I can pick some up for $24 each, which surprised them apparently.

So Firestone only uses OEM parts? and the list is $77 each??
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Grab your ankles!

That surprises me. Why would a place other than a dealer insist on selling GM parts at full list price? Dealer wholesale is about 40% below list.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
      Both my headlights went out this weekend. I thought it was odd and took my car the the Firestone place to check grounds and electrical system. Everything else worked fine. They say it's common for both lights to burn out at the same time. I've never heard of that. Then they said they'd be happy to replace them for $77 EACH!!

Apparently they only use GM parts and the list price is $77?!?!? I mentioned that I can pick some up for $24 each, which surprised them apparently.

So Firestone only uses OEM parts? and the list is $77 each??
      $10 each at Autozone or O'Reillys. Then just replace them yourself. It is easier than changing your oil. That is as long as you have a phillips screwdriver.

Comment

Oh, I can handle a headlight change allright! LOL!! I just hadn't ever seen both of them go out at the same time and thought it might have been an electrical problem. If it's just the lights, then I'm happy.

I don't know about going back the that firestone though. I may call them up again to get some clarification.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Oh, I can handle a headlight change allright! LOL!! I just hadn't ever seen both of them go out at the same time and thought it might have been an electrical problem. If it's just the lights, then I'm happy.

I don't know about going back the that firestone though. I may call them up again to get some clarification.
          Have you checked to make sure it is not a relay or switch problem? Do your parking lights come on OK? Turn signals?

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
            Have you checked to make sure it is not a relay or switch problem? Do your parking lights come on OK? Turn signals?
            Everything else works fine. Flashers, parking lights, the whole bit. Fuses checked out fine, but I don't think the headlights are on a fuse. I'll install a new headlight and see if that works first.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Pull out the bulbs and put a voltameter in there place. Turn the headlights on and see if you are getting power to the bulbs... That will tell you if the bulbs are bad.
              No F-Body right now

Comment

Get Sylvania Cool blue, very nice $16 a piece, 60w/70w rating i believe, dont get the silverstar its has aower wattage, advertised HID look thats all you get.
                1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                  Get Sylvania Cool blue, very nice $16 a piece, 60w/70w rating i believe, dont get the silverstar its has aower wattage, advertised HID look thats all you get.
                  Are you talking about the bulbs or sealed beam headlights. I don't know about the firebird, but on Camaro there are only a couple of manufacturers for the sealed beams and of them are terribly good. There isn't much of a difference between them that I can tell. Or are you talking about something I haven't heard of???
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Are you talking about the bulbs or sealed beam headlights. I don't know about the firebird, but on Camaro there are only a couple of manufacturers for the sealed beams and of them are terribly good. There isn't much of a difference between them that I can tell. Or are you talking about something I haven't heard of???
                    You can pry the bulb out of your sealed beam enclosure and install any brand bulb you want.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Aaah...yes that's been on my to do list for a while. Well, here's the excuse!
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

I have the cool blue lights that they are talking about and I like them. They're nothing like the xenon lights you see on the bimmer's but they are better than stock. I can see a difference in them when I'm driving and other 3rd gens pass by that do not have them. High Beems are nice too!

Good Luck to yah!!!
                        86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
                        Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

Both headlights in my T/A died at the same time as well. I replaced them, and all was well with the world.
                          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If you do a search on here or other boards you'll see that'll come up a few times I bet. For some reason they'll go together and its only the bulbs nothing else wrong.
                            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

I just moded the lights in my Camaro. The factory lights say "Guide" on them and have some sort of epoxy gluing the bulbs in. They are a PITA to get out. I never got one out. I'm pretty sure AmericanZ28 got his out. I went and bought some Sylvania low beam sealed beam ($24.99 each) and took the bulbs out. They are held in by a plastic ring and glue. A firm 1/4 turn either way of the plastic ring to the bulb and they pop right out. Advance Auto had some Xenon bulbs (4000k) on sale for $24.95 a pair regularly $29.99 a pair. I put some silicone gasket sealer on them and stuck them. Let them dry overnight and they work great. Much much better than stock. Well worth the money and effort.

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                              X