Oil Pan Question for Gen I SBC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan Question for Gen I SBC

My question is this, I have a 1970 350 from a 1970 Corvette that has been built to a 383. I want to replace the stock Oil pan with a Chrome one. Are all SBC oil pans the same dimensions or am I to be looking for a specific one to fit in my Formula. I realize I need one with the dipstick on the drivers side But I cant seem to find a reference to different ones on different vehicles.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

You need one that fits with the crossmember for your car I'm not sure if the generic ones are right for that. you might be able to tell if you can see one in person - Those chrome ones are often made off shore (China) and have questionable or bad quality. Get a nice Canton, or a Milodon or Moroso which has good baffling and get a good windage tray.

Comment

Like Kev mentioned, you will have to make sure the pan is specific to your chassis. It will have to clear the factory k-member, steering components, and exhaust.

I would also steer clear of the stamped chrome pans. They are notorious for leaking due to their inherant structural weakness which allows them to flex and provide proper gasket seating.

Canton, Milodon, Moroso, Summit, Jegs, and SDPC all make good oil pans for all SBC generations. And they will also free up about 7-15 fly HP depending on your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA

....Canton, Milodon, Moroso, Summit, Jegs, and SDPC all make good oil pans for all SBC generations. And they will also free up about 7-15 fly HP depending on your motor.
        Thats if you get a scraper or windage tray that keeps the oil off the crank. There are some serious crank scrapers out there that will squeegee the oil from the crank, cousing the crank to be lighter, spin quicker, and make you faster
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
        X