Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma

Well,

Big dilema. (not sure how to spell that word but its close enough)
    Ok. Car is broke. Motor is out and in pieces at a local shop. Right now i owe them 500 for tearing it down and giving me an estimate. They want 4200 total for doing all the work, including parts.

Work included if i keep it there to be fixed: pulling the motor and putting it back in(obviously)
    Replace oil pump, head bolts, all gaskets, lifters, camshaft, rings rod bearings and some other stuff that i forgot.

Now my dilemma is I think havin the car brought out of the shop, motor out and park it at a friends house, because i am going overseas. He said i could keep it there, but no, not for 6 months. He also said i could keep the motor there, take the car and he could build it up as a wire money, such as all the necessities and stuff like getting the heads ported, new cam, stroke it out to a 383 or something close to that, headers, have the computer sent off to be reprogrammed, build the tranny up while im overseas and have it be done by the time i get back. Only problem, who knows when ill get back. Or, i could just have it pulled out and order all sorts of parts while im overseas and have them build it all up when i get back. Tony (the mechanic) told me it would be around 7 thousand to fix everything and build it up, does that sound about right?

Opinions please.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

I can't tell you what to do with the engine itself, but if it were me in the same situation here's what I would do. If you don't have the money to fix it now....leave it in the condition it is. Find someplace you can store the car and parts so it'll be safe. Save up your money while overseas...Tax free and hazardous duty will add up after 6 months or so. Come back and have it built to what you can afford.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

If I were at the mercy of someone else doing the build, I certainly wouldn't do it when I couldn't "drop by" from time to time to check on the progress.

Comment

Working...
      X