Madz28 tuning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madz28 tuning

I'm looking at buying a chip for my 93 Formula from MadZ28 and i have a couple of questions on what some of his tuning will do for me. It says that he can disable my EGR valve and my smog pump, what will this do for the performance of my car. Also he asks for a rear end gear ratio. Does it matter what rear end gear ratio i have since the 1993 didn't come with an electronic transmission and the speedometer is therefore not contolled by the computer but speedo gears (which i have no idea where those are located on the car, maybe the transmission?) Lastly his least says that he can increase shift firmness and that it is only for the 4L60E, why can't he do it for the 4L60 also?
    thanx for the help.
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Originally posted by blackfire93
    I'm looking at buying a chip for my 93 Formula from MadZ28 and i have a couple of questions on what some of his tuning will do for me. It says that he can disable my EGR valve and my smog pump, what will this do for the performance of my car.
    Will not do anything for performance. The AIR pump runs for a couple minutes at startup, to help the cats heat up faster. EGR only runs under part-load cruise conditions, particularly when lugging the engine. That increases combustion temperatures, causing formation of the polutant oxides of nitrogen (NOx). The EGR can also help minimize detonation under these condtions. Since neither system operates at WOT, they can't affect performance. Most people eliminate these systems when they go to long tube headers that don't have the connections for the AIR or EGR systems. You may have a problem psssing a rolling emissions test with the EGR disabled.

Also he asks for a rear end gear ratio. Does it matter what rear end gear ratio i have since the 1993 didn't come with an electronic transmission and the speedometer is therefore not contolled by the computer but speedo gears (which i have no idea where those are located on the car, maybe the transmission?) Lastly his least says that he can increase shift firmness and that it is only for the 4L60E, why can't he do it for the 4L60 also?
    thanx for the help.
    You answered your own question.... the 4L60 is not electronic and is not controlled by the ECM, so the ECM can't control shift firmess. I think the VSS for the 93 still runs through the ECM, to the speedo, so you need to tell him the rear axle gear ratio.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

speedo gears

where do the gears for the speedometer go and how hard are they to take and out and install?
      1993 Formula - 99k
      Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

The gears go in the tailshaft of the tranny are are supposedly easy enough to swap out.

You may want to give the chip guy at pcmforless a ring. He works almost exclusively with speed density GM stuff, and is an expert with the 93 F-Body cars.
        Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Working...
        X