Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to give up...

Hey guys,
    Still on my quest to pass the NOx portion of the emissions test. I am currently double what the limit is. I have heard that the EGR system needs a little exhaust backpressure to fuction properly. I wonder if I have too little backpressre for it to work right. LOOK at my Sig for my mods.

This is what I have done so far:
    -NEW EGR Valve
    -NEW Plugs
    -NEW Wires
    -NEW 02 Sensor
    -NEW Distributor Cap
    -NEW Rotor
    -NEW Vacum ines
    -NEW Catalityc Converter
    -CLEANED EGR passages
    -SET timing at all different locations (NO HELP)
    -SET fuel pressure at all different levels (NO HELP)
    -CHECKED for vacum @ EGR valve (15inches during operation)
    -ALWAYS ran premium fuel

What do you guys think? Is there some other avenue that I havent tried? How about the backpressure thing? Does that sound like a good idea?
    No F-Body right now

In Georgia, if you prove that you have spent X amount of money to get a car to pass emissions and it still doesn't pass, they have to give you an exemption.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Just move to flordia, We dont give a heck!
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

You catilytic converter may not be up to standards. It might be a high flow performance unit but not as good emision wise as the stock converter. Just my guess.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
          In Georgia, if you prove that you have spent X amount of money to get a car to pass emissions and it still doesn't pass, they have to give you an exemption.

that was what I was thinking when I read your post...see if they won't exempt you...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
          Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
          B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
          Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
          Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Jersey has that too...

But only if a registered shop does the repairs. I have been doing all of the repairs so far. Its been pretty much a guessing game the whole time. I am running out of ideas though. I may have to pay a shop to fix it. (I HATE BEING POOR!!)
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Try a gallon of denatured alcohol in 8 gallons of premium. If that doesn't do it, you might need a new cat. Also the EGR needs to work, you can't be running lean or too hot, can't have low octane - those will raise NOX.

Oh yeah - like was mentioned, aftermarket cats chince on the Paladium, Rhodium, and Platinum because they are expensive metals, and they only need to wty for 2 years as opposed to the OEMs who wty for 7-10 years. Good aftermarket converters include Walker & Brown. They are more like OEM, but do have some hi-po models. When my car failed twice with the Random cat, I cobbled the stock unit on there and passed with 2x better NOX, 5x better HC and 10x better CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                When my car failed twice with the Random cat, I cobbled the stock unit on there and passed with 2x better NOX, 5x better HC and 10x better CO.
                Wow, Randon tech cats aren't cheap either!!
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
                  Wow, Randon tech cats aren't cheap either!!
                  And the stock unit had 17k mi and 5 years compared to the Random cat with 3k mi and less than 2 years on it. They warrantied me a new one, but the thing inside came loose and rattly this summer so I punched it out with a pipe! Not what I wanted to do, but I'm sick of messing with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X