Improvements with 3.73

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvements with 3.73

I'm going to put 3.73 gears in my rear end. I currently have an automatic with 3.23s. I just have a few bolt-ons like exhaust and CAI. What kind of quarter mile improvements can I expect after installing 3.73s? I'm hoping for something like .3s but i would still be happy with .2. Any ideas?
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

I replaced my 2.73's with 3.73's on my car almost 5 years ago. I only gained a tenth when I took it to the track. But it all depends on the driver I guess.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
      I replaced my 2.73's with 3.73's on my car almost 5 years ago. I only gained a tenth when I took it to the track. But it all depends on the driver I guess.
      And I bet your tires spun through the 60' didnt they?
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

I just went from a 3.43 to a 3.73 and headers and went from a 13.99 to a 13.40
        and for the 60 ft times if your spinning your wasting time just ease into it till you know you got traction
        I LOVE COBRA'S -
        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
          And I bet your tires spun through the 60' didnt they?
          Not at all. That was when I had my A4.
          Hercules

Comment

When I went to 3.73s, I found them to be worth at least couple of tenths. Even more with drag radials.

Comment

Not at all. That was when I had my A4.
              one tenth just doesnt seem right, there had to be an issue. I mean your getting a hole half more turn on your tires per revelution on your crank than you would have with 3.23, you should have seem maybe 3 or 4 tenth.
              1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.

Comment

one tenth just doesnt seem right, there had to be an issue. I mean your getting a hole half more turn on your tires per revelution on your crank than you would have with 3.23, you should have seem maybe 3 or 4 tenth.
                I wish that was the case, but back in '99 (when I got 3.73), I went to Route 66 Raceway in Joilet, IL with some friends. A couple months before that I had my 2.73's. The best ran I got was 14.1 @ 98 MPH. After going back with my 3.73's my best run was a 14.0 @ 100 MPH. As you can see I gained only a tenth, but my MPH increased. Back then I had what I pretty much have now except for my new suspension. But the biggest difference I noticed with my 3.73's now is after my M6 conversion, my car pulls harder and faster.
                Hercules

Comment

I wish that was the case, but back in '99 (when I got 3.73), I went to Route 66 Raceway in Joilet, IL with some friends. A couple months before that I had my 2.73's. The best ran I got was 14.1 @ 98 MPH. After going back with my 3.73's my best run was a 14.0 @ 100 MPH. As you can see I gained only a tenth, but my MPH increased. Back then I had what I pretty much have now except for my new suspension. But the biggest difference I noticed with my 3.73's now is after my M6 conversion, my car pulls harder and faster.
                  You must have been spinging because at Gainsville I ran a 13.9@97 with only cat-back, cat delete, sub-frames, and 1.6 RR, I had highway gears. Does Elavation mean that much? If so I love Flordia!

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
                    I'm going to put 3.73 gears in my rear end. I currently have an automatic with 3.23s. I just have a few bolt-ons like exhaust and CAI. What kind of quarter mile improvements can I expect after installing 3.73s? I'm hoping for something like .3s but i would still be happy with .2. Any ideas?
                    Going from a 3.23:1 to a 3.73:1 will be worth a good 3 tenths considering good and consistent driving skills.

Going from a 2.73:1 to a 3.73:1 is worth at least 4 tenths considering a good and consistent driver. If not, much practice would probably be a good thing.

Comment

Altitude makes a difference or NHRA wouldn't have correction tables. Still, gears work hand in hand with other mods. also, maybe there were other factors like temperature, track conditions, etc. One thing I can say from personal experience, a g-tech pro is a valuable tool in learning how your car reacts to varied throttle inputs. One of the biggest ET inprovements came from me learning how to drive the car for best results.

Comment

I.E. shift points, launch RPM, throttel feathering out of the hole, right Joe?

Comment

I.E. shift points, launch RPM, throttel feathering out of the hole, right Joe?
                          Bingo. Since mine is not a dedicated strip car, you can't just stab the throttle and expect it to perform perfectly for you. It isn't dialed in to do that. It took me weeks of playing with different throttle amounts just pre-loading the suspension, different amounts of initial throttle, how quickly the foot goes down and how far, etc. That g-tech pro is a jewel when used correctly. There appears to be a very fine line with the throttle between hooking and blowing away the tires with radials. (SZ50EPs) I really need a set of Drag radials, I wish they made them in a 285/40/17 though.

Comment

Yeah that 13.9 I ran started at a 14.6 that night, but I learn that I need to shift the car a 5800 RPM and launch at about 1200 RPM and walk it like a dog. Also Icing the Intake is a must, I would have never hit the magical 13 mark with out a 5 lbs bag and a couple ice packs.

Also I was cuting 1.9 60's on my 255 16 fuldas. I dont know how it hooked so well, Ive seen old guys with GTO only cut 2.0 60's on SLICKS. Don't butter me up or anything but and I that good of a driver?

P.S. My car had a 1st gear option so it had 3.23 right?

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
                              You know you can't get the speedo corrected via tune right? You have to get a recalibration box, either a SLP (discontinued, check ebay) or a dakota digital.
                              Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Working...
                              X