z28 vs 240sx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z28 vs 240sx

One of my friends just got an engine swap for his 240. He now has a sr20det and he is talkin all kinds of junk about how fast it is and stuff. He wants to run me for some reason. I dont get my liscence untill 19 days so it isnt that big of a deal. In your opinion what is faster a stock z28 or a 240 with a sr20det and bolt ons.

Don't know what an sr20det is
    Dave S
    2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

sr20det is the engine that came in the jap 240s its a 2.0 liter turbo. suppost to have like 200 stock Im not sure about his cause he has some bolt ons. He is a ricer after all so u know he's got the fart can and all those cheap bolt ons

Comment

You could be in real real deep trouble here...
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Take it to the race track.....then you will find out.
          Definitely stay away from street racing!! Depends on the cars..........depends on the drivers ...........too many variables since you say he has mods.
          Dave S
          2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

I also have some mods coming down the pipe soon. He has been talkin junk to my neighbor who has an 02 SS thats pretty much all stock. How do you think that would go?

Comment

Those 240's can get pretty quick. If your stock, then i would worry. If you have just about every bolt on possible then ur golden. If this kid knows his stuff and did his homework, he can have a mid 13 second car, but thats uncommen. But i would take SS_CarGuy advice and take it to the track. Especially if you have never really had experience racing.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I just found out some shocking news. That is great news for me. I think he is full of crap because he went to a strip and he ran 15s. So either he spun the whole time or he is bluffing on how fast it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
                  I also have some mods coming down the pipe soon. He has been talkin junk to my neighbor who has an 02 SS thats pretty much all stock. How do you think that would go?
                  Find out this guy's mods. Don't automatically assume he's a ricer and doesn't know what he is doing just because he has a japanese car and talks a lot of smack. He might have good reason to talk smack.
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
                    I just found out some shocking news. That is great news for me. I think he is full of crap because he went to a strip and he ran 15s. So either he spun the whole time or he is bluffing on how fast it is.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

Beat him bad, and bruise his ego real hard.

Comment

I've known this guy since I was 4 so i pretty much know he is full of crap and he is very competative. He used to when i beat him in bike races at our baby sitters, lol.
                      Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

Beat him bad, and bruise his ego real hard.

Comment

The bigger problem is you don't have your license yet and you are allready trying to lose it!!!!!!
                        94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

find out exactly y he ran a 15, cuz i know a guy with that motor in his 240 and belive it or not he ran a 13.70.....but hes turbo and all that garbage, but their pretty quick cars, but it should be interesting
                          1967 Camaro "Project"
                          1972 Chevelle "454"
                          1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

One of two scenerios....... if the car does run in the 13s, only a couple of ways to do it. He will either have to run a very high rpm in order to get enough air flowing through the motor to acheive that HP level. When I say very high rpm, I mean it. He would have to buzz the thing to 8K rpm and beyond. If he revs to an insane rpm, watch out. The second way is by forced induction ie; turbo (fairly common), supercharger (unlikey) or nitrous(common). It's all about how much air it can flow combined with proper fueling. The easiest way to settle this is to print out this thread and call his bluff. Racing a young smack talking ricer has no glory. Beating him is no prize, you are supposed to beat them. It's the high performance stuff that they are trying to emulate and copy..... Choose a more lofty goal. I do have to say the 240 is a nice body style. The model on Japanese soil, the Skyline, is a genuine supercar with awesome performance. It however comes with a very hefty pricetag which really makes you question the value of it. If I remember, the price is similar to a new C6, the performance is not too far off either.

Bottom line is that unless he has dumped huge amounts of dough just to make it modestly fast, it's not even worth a thought. I still wouldn't even waste my gas or risk street racing. Take it to the track, put some money on the race and go home with some extra change in your pocket if you must.

Comment

I agree with you on that. The main goal in moddin my car is to have a car good for the street and the srtip. In other words a car that is fast but not too powerfull and just carry a set of slicks in my back seat for when ever i take it to the strip. Right now my goal is to run 12s it will take some work as well as some money but i believe if you do things the right way and dont take short cuts then things usually turn out alright.
                              Originally posted by Joe 1320
                              One of two scenerios....... if the car does run in the 13s, only a couple of ways to do it. He will either have to run a very high rpm in order to get enough air flowing through the motor to acheive that HP level. When I say very high rpm, I mean it. He would have to buzz the thing to 8K rpm and beyond. If he revs to an insane rpm, watch out. The second way is by forced induction ie; turbo (fairly common), supercharger (unlikey) or nitrous(common). It's all about how much air it can flow combined with proper fueling. The easiest way to settle this is to print out this thread and call his bluff. Racing a young smack talking ricer has no glory. Beating him is no prize, you are supposed to beat them. It's the high performance stuff that they are trying to emulate and copy..... Choose a more lofty goal. I do have to say the 240 is a nice body style. The model on Japanese soil, the Skyline, is a genuine supercar with awesome performance. It however comes with a very hefty pricetag which really makes you question the value of it. If I remember, the price is similar to a new C6, the performance is not too far off either.

Bottom line is that unless he has dumped huge amounts of dough just to make it modestly fast, it's not even worth a thought. I still wouldn't even waste my gas or risk street racing. Take it to the track, put some money on the race and go home with some extra change in your pocket if you must.
                              I forgot to put this but all of his "performance stuff" came out of a junk yard. I know for a fact the motor and the suspension came from a junk yard so he is cuttin corners and i think it will cost him in the long run. That motor prolly has tons of miles on it and he is hard on everything. I think the reason he got the swap was cause he wanted more power and he blew the stock engine up if that tell you anything about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X