cam search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam search

ive really been thinking about a cam lately because iv'e been hearing alot of the good things it can offer. what do i have to look for when buying a cam. I want to keep it streetable, and have a nasty low end with some good pull. What cam's would you reccomend for a 97 lt1. also what else will i need to upgrade/change/replace with this cam stall. I don't want a cam where i have to have head work done.
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

When you say nasty low end, do you mean you want it to be a torquey cam? Or do you just want a strong midrange to high end cam?

Agian streetable is a very broad word. With stock LT1 castings a duration of 230ish @ .050 is about the limit as far as a max effort cam for stock heads.

Here just some of my suggestions. The first of course being the mildest and the last being the more aggressive. Even the 227 can be made to idle and drive much like stock with a profeesionally done tune.

CC TN221XL Camshaft 221/227 duration @ .050", .542"/.560" lift with 1.6 rockers, 112lsa

CC TN224XL Camshaft 224/230 duration @ .050", .536"/.544" lift with 1.6 rockers, 112lsa

CC TN227XR Camshaft 227/233 duration @ .050", .560"/.569" lift with 1.6 rockers, 111lsa

Comment

Kevin knows his stuff.....
      kevin witch of those cam's would be good for a supercharger ???
      what other parts would need to be upgraded when installing those cam's???
      eddie
      1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

With a cam swap like the ones mentioned above you will need at least to replace the valve springs with something like the dual coil CC 986, 987, 978. The spring will depend on which cam you choose. Generally speaking, the bigger the cam the higher the valve spring rate. And if it were me I would go ahead and replace the lifters and push rods since you are already there on a LT1 or SBC.

For a cam specific to a supercharger, you will want to look for a cam with a bigger split in favor of the exhaust. Meaning more duration and lift on the exhaust in relation to the intake side. You also want a cam with less valve overlap. This is achieved by choosing a cam with a greater numerical Lobe Separation Angle (LSA). The greater the LSA the less the effective valve overlap. This is required on a FI motor to keep the boost from being blown out the exhaust valve during overlap.

Look for a cam with at least a 114 LSA or higher for forced induction.

Something like the CC TS-224XH 224/236 @ .050", .605"/.622", 114 LSA would be a pretty good choice for a FI LT1 with stock heads.

Comment

i want something really torquey if thats a word. lol. I want this car to be a torque monster. Although the lt1 seems to die off in its pull unlike the ls1. Maybe it would be a better idea to get something with more mid-to high end. any ideas?
          -Lou -

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
            i want something really torquey if thats a word. lol. I want this car to be a torque monster. Although the lt1 seems to die off in its pull unlike the ls1. Maybe it would be a better idea to get something with more mid-to high end. any ideas?
            The three cams I mentioned above have explosive mid to high pull. Don't forget that HP is torque....just torque measure over time and against engine speed.

If you truly want to build a "torque monster", then just order a cam with a ton of lift. Lift makes torque and not horsepower. But you will be giving up your midrange and upper RPM pull. That is not an option for me.

Comment

thanks for all your help i think that its a better idea to get somethign with more top end.
              -Lou -

Comment

Working...
              X