Speedo/odo, problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/odo, problem

I have a 92' camaro R/S the whole insturment cluster works except the speedometer and odometer,had speed senser replaced and hooked to a computer,it will read speed from the senser all the way to the main computer but from there to the cluster assembly there is a problem.does any one know of any common problems that would cause this or what the problem itself could be thank you

Does your car have a cable that runs from the trans? Could be broken, I have heard of this happening on other cars. Not sure about yours though.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

If the PCM is reading speed, then to problem is either the cluster or the feed from the PCM.

I'd start by finding a replacement cluster on the forum here. They are abundant for ~$50. If that doesnt do it, track the wire from the cluster to the PCM and see if it is broken somewhere.

Does the cruise control work? I'm guessing it does because you say the PCM is getting a good speed reading.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Considering I have almost the exact same problem (except with mine the computer isn't seeing vehicle speed), I believe can help.

Since your car is a 92, than it is fully electronic (no cable). It sounds to me like either the actual speedometer/odometer head is bad, which means you'll need to find another gauge cluster, or the wire from the VSS buffer to the cluster is shorted/open. But, before you go replacing parts, I can send you some service manual info on a code 24 for a 91 Camaro RS. I know you don't own a 92 nor do you have a code 24, but the troubleshooting info will be the same for a 91 or 92 and the info deals with speedometer/odometer problems. This is how I figured out my problem.

If you will just post or PM me with your e-mail address, I will be more than glad to send you the PDF I have.

P.S. If it is the speedo/odometer head that ends up being the problem, then now would be a perfect time to swap to a 90-92 Z28 145 MPH gauge cluster. It's a direct swap, and looks a whole lot better than the stock RS 110 MPH gauge cluster. Just a thought.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
        X