weird stumbling at top speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird stumbling at top speed

One day last week i was riding in my car with my uncle(who by the way happens to be a cop). We were on the expressway and he asked me to floor it cause he wanted to see what the top speed of my car was. So i ablige him and i go for it, but as the needle got up to 150mph the car sorta lurched slightly and the exhaust popped a little. It was almost like my car was starved for fuel or it hit a speed limiter. It was in 5th gear and i know that top speed is reached 5th. I was thinking because i have the 4.10 gear this may have caused this but im not sure. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
    Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

did you hit the rev limiter? With 4.10 gears you might need to hit 6th to get top speed. Use a gear calculator to figure it out.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

150, huh?
      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I have a nice peice of new secondary highway that runs past my house that is rarely used, I have hit 273 Kph in my 89 formula, had to mesure it with my GPS as my spedo goes to 220 only. Only things I can kill on that High way are me and the deer. Hope that dont happen. It also helps that there is a bit of a downward slope to the 3 mile section. at that speed 3 miles goes by in a blink. Its also a nice place to do burnouts. if one is so inclined.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

First, you're nuts doing that on the street. Second, you probably hit the speed limiter and either the speedometer gauge is inaccurate or the limiter has been reprogrammed to the speed registered.

Comment

i know that i wont win any friend for doint that but it happened when i shifted to 6th too

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
            Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by lt1maro
              i know that i wont win any friend for doint that but it happened when i shifted to 6th too
              Don't worry everyone has done it, and you had the peace of mind that you had cop with you. I usualy scared out of my mind going beyond 120, consequences are just too great.
              1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
              "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Working...
              X