Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 WS6 - CarPC Install

Greetings.

I have a 2000 WS6 and I'm considering installing a PC in the car with a VGA touchscreen. You can do some pretty cool stuff with this like GPS navigation, MP3 playing, DVD movie playing, regular computer stuff, and they make special LS1 software now that can hook into the onboard computer in the car and display "check engine" codes as well as real-time statistics from the engine.

http://www.gnetcanada.com/vehiclepc-overview.htm

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this with the car.
    I have found a device that will let me keep my steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head-unit, but I would like to have an in-dash, motorized VGA screen which I have found (but it is the screen only), but also have the functionality of a head unit.

Just wondering if anyone had poked around with this at all. Just looking for ideas of where to mount everything and keep it professional looking.

I was thining about doing the same thing to my car when I had it. It was going to be a regular desktop with a small case. It would make tuning a snap thats for sure.
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

A good friend of mine who moved to western NC, from RI installed one. He put together a very thourough web page on the install

Darmie's 2001 ss
      http://www.angibabi.com/camaro

His Car puter install
      http://www.angibabi.com/camaro/carputer/install.htm
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

I have looked at this option also for myself, as I hate to haul Cds and stuff everywhere, plus U wanted to use GPS and music vids in the car. To build the system would be pretty simple using the VIA mini-ITX form factor
        http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/mini-itx
        The screens are easy to get, the only small problem I see is integrating the Steering wheel controls into the system. But I believe I could build a converter box with some of the equipment ment to build arcade machines out of computers. Hmm quite a little project. It can be done.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I know they make a unit that can convert the signals from our steering wheel controls into custom IR codes... then you can just map those codes to any feature on an aftermarket head-unit's remote control... and presto, you have steering wheel controls again. I lost the link to it, but it was only like $50 and looked pretty easy to install.

Comment

Look guys... I hate to be the one who brings up this point, but it has to be done.

There are alot of people who can't drive and use their cell phone at the same time. Now we're going to throw a computer in the mix. Changing CD's has almost got me into an accident (And I even have them all organized so I dont have to look at the book to get them) let alone trying to read a computer screen to change a song or read GPS screens. Navigate the car, not the computer. I agree that it would be awesome for getting real time readings from your on-board computer for track use, if thats all your gonna use it for. But to be driving down the highway trying to do this stuff is kinda crazy (unless you got someone in the car to do this for you).

Just my two cents guys... sorry to be a killjoy No harm intended
            86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
            Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

Also, I really want this thing to look sharp... like integrating the screen into the hole where the radio sits now... then you have the problem of relocating the radio somewhere else.

I checked that website posted above and the site is not there anymore
              (the guy who did this in his camaro SS)

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum86
                Look guys... I hate to be the one who brings up this point, but it has to be done.

There are alot of people who can't drive and use their cell phone at the same time. Now we're going to throw a computer in the mix. Changing CD's has almost got me into an accident (And I even have them all organized so I dont have to look at the book to get them) let alone trying to read a computer screen to change a song or read GPS screens. Navigate the car, not the computer. I agree that it would be awesome for getting real time readings from your on-board computer for track use, if thats all your gonna use it for. But to be driving down the highway trying to do this stuff is kinda crazy (unless you got someone in the car to do this for you).

Just my two cents guys... sorry to be a killjoy No harm intended
                It's illegal in Georgia to have a TV within sight of the driver. That doesn't seam to stop people from installing them. I have to agree. A performance car needs your full attention. Porsche was taken by surprise by the cup holder revolution in cars. They couldn't understand why someone would need one. When you're behind the wheel, you drive not eat, or drink, or least of all watch TV. I would appreciate your full attention to driving if you are around me.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I agree there are a lot of stupid drivers out there and they can barely drive with a cell phone in hand. But you have to understand that I am the greatest driver in the world, and it's everyone else who's bad... I could drive while making a ship in a bottle....

But seriously, you have a valid concern. I do not intend to be watching movies with this thing. The MP3 screen is just like a car stereo. You have a touch screen monitor and you just control it that way. I don't even know how much I'll use the damn thing. I only put like 2000 miles per year on my car. Pretty much drive it to the office and back, and the ocasional road trip... I just think it would be cool as hell and a fun project to tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbum86
                    Look guys... I hate to be the one who brings up this point, but it has to be done. ... I agree that it would be awesome for getting real time readings from your on-board computer for track use, if thats all your gonna use it for.
                    Real time readings are marginally useful when blasting down the track unless you can record them. If you can set it up to do that, then you have something. I do it thru a laptop, but that has it's drawbacks too, cause sometimes the thing ends up in the passenger side footwell and the display is half busted off. Now if you race a Civic, then you got all day to look at your real time data, or at least it seems like it during the 17 seconds it takes to get to the traps. Probably why those guys have Playstation II in there and a Nav system to show them when they will get to the end of the track and what mileage they're gettin at the top end

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      Real time readings are marginally useful when blasting down the track unless you can record them. If you can set it up to do that, then you have something. I do it thru a laptop, but that has it's drawbacks too, cause sometimes the thing ends up in the passenger side footwell and the display is half busted off. Now if you race a Civic, then you got all day to look at your real time data, or at least it seems like it during the 17 seconds it takes to get to the traps. Probably why those guys have Playstation II in there and a Nav system to show them when they will get to the end of the track and what mileage they're gettin at the top end

They gotta have something to occupy their time... thats funny!!

I got yah rcizzy... just wanted to make an observation... no harm intended
                      86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
                      Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

TV's for the driver to watch while driving are illegal in GA, but not COMPUTERs otherwise the entire law enforcement community will be fined because they use lap-tops.

Hmmm I dunno why Darmie dropped the web site, but you may be able to contact him via alero.org ... he runs the site . He installed a 14.1" LCD display, with, GPS, Autotap, Mapping software, netstumbler, He could track himself on a map real time, go on the internet, get trips, and watch his engine's stat's in addition he had it hooked into his stereo system so he played MP3's, movies and everything.. remember it is 100% legal... because it is a computer, not a TV... making computer illegal for drivers or in cars would also stop the use of them for law officers.

It is a good setup. It one time saved our convoy, by automaically finding another route, via the backroads, to Kerms house for an Skyline drive event he put on, This was at the time of the sniper in Washington DC and Virginia, and I-95 was shut down... the car-puter saved our F-body convoy but good
                        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
                        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
                        pics and info

Comment

It would be a snap to make the computer give realtime readings while at the track, as well as data loging and other functions. You wouldnt need to relocate the radio, as you could just put in the flip up style deck in or just delete it totaly and run the sound system from the computer. It s easy to get it to run RCAs to the amp and just put in a good sound card like an audigy or something hardware based, and poof, you got a stereo, Realtime engine logger, RT data display, DVD, CD, MP3, MPEG4, Divx, CD burner/DVD burner(to burn data log records). It would be easy to implement. Plus you could use the stering wheel controles for audio and ad a track ball frenched into the console with the two mouse buttons for navigation and a mini USB keyboard that can be pluged in and out on demand.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims
                          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                          Custom Dual exhaust
                          1LE upgrade
                          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

does our amp have an RCA input for a soundcard or something? If so, how do you select the other input?

I was thinking of using a touchscreen VGA monitor, but I can't find one that's a motorized, in-dash, VGA, with the normal head-unit stuff.

Give it a few years I guess. I'm also not sure where to mount the computer itself. I don't want to lose the space to store my t-tops and I would like to keep it out of sight...

Comment

Working...
                            X