Could a weak spring...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a weak spring...

On the rear passenger side cause that side of the car to sag? I got an estimate from a mech. at belle tire today while they fixed a rim leak. He said he can't see anything that is wrong with any components. He said his "Guess" would be that I have a weak spring in the rear on that side.

It sags the whole side, but he said the front is fine, it's the rear causing that entire side to sag. Made sense to me, after he jacked the rear up about an inch, the car leveled up perfectly.

He said take it to a frame shop, if the frame isn't bent, he would replace the springs.

Frame shop, or is it time for Eibach lowering springs?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

How much is it sagging? Its certainly possible it could be a bad or BROKEN spring. Did you check to make sure are cracked or broken? HEaring any clunks over bumps?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

No cracking over bumps at anytime. We put it up on the lift yesterday at the shop, and he said the spring wasn't damaged. He said his guess was just that the spring was weakened somehow.

It was, I believe 5/8" lower or 1 5/8" lower. I don't remember.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Could just be a bad shock as well. I had a shock blow a seal on the right rear of my 97 TA and it sagged about 3/4" before I replaced the rear shocks.

Comment

Did you remove the springs? It's easy to remove them. Just set them on the floor side by side and see if one is taller than the other. When you reinstall them, swith them left to right. See if the car sags on the opposite side.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            Did you remove the springs? It's easy to remove them. Just set them on the floor side by side and see if one is taller than the other. When you reinstall them, swith them left to right. See if the car sags on the opposite side.
            I thought about that, but I was thinking that the spring would be the same height. The only real way to check is to pull it and check how many pounds it takes to compress it.

Kevin, I considered the shocks, but then I thought they didn't effect ride height that much. I should replace the shocks, struts, and springs sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              I thought about that, but I was thinking that the spring would be the same height. The only real way to check is to pull it and check how many pounds it takes to compress it.

Kevin, I considered the shocks, but then I thought they didn't effect ride height that much. I should replace the shocks, struts, and springs sometime...
              swap the rear springs side to side, see if the car sags on the drivers side instead. If it does, the springs are the problem. If it does not, it could be a bent sway bar or the frame could be bent. Disconnect the end links on the sway bars and see if the car sits flat. If not, take it to a frame shop.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
              X