Planning on doing a Cam swap (?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning on doing a Cam swap (?)

I am going to be doing some work on my car this winter, i want to get a Comp Cams 306 and Pro mag Full Rollers 1.6 ratio
    The question is when i get my heads done what springs should i use max lift @.050 is .540 so does this change with the 1.6? and will i need new pushrods, stock length?
    I am doing the GMPP HD timing Chain anything else i am missing
    I am also getting a New trans with a warranty for up to 600 RWHP and a PI wigilaty 3200 stall converter first. Will this setup give me alot on the street and more at the track. I use it 60/40 street/strip. But can handle lopey idle and poor gas mileage.
    I plan on getting it tuned bu 2nd Street Speed-Perkasie, PA
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Not sure, but I love the car in the sig. That the stock ram air hood? It looks bigger. Mean. I loves. Is that the big block SS hood?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Suncoast Creations stock SS hood. Thanks though, i love it
      I LOVE COBRA'S -
      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Originally posted by HottestZ28
        I am going to be doing some work on my car this winter, i want to get a Comp Cams 306 and Pro mag Full Rollers 1.6 ratio
        The question is when i get my heads done what springs should i use max lift @.050 is .540 so does this change with the 1.6? and will i need new pushrods, stock length?
        I am doing the GMPP HD timing Chain anything else i am missing
        I am also getting a New trans with a warranty for up to 600 RWHP and a PI wigilaty 3200 stall converter first. Will this setup give me alot on the street and more at the track. I use it 60/40 street/strip. But can handle lopey idle and poor gas mileage.
        I plan on getting it tuned bu 2nd Street Speed-Perkasie, PA
        Im not sure but last time I looked in my Comp Cams Catolog the 306's lift was taken with the 1.6 RR as they came with the LT4. You will need some larger springs, I would recommend Dual Springs from CC as well, when you order the cam just tell them you need springs, retainers, and locks and they will hook you up.

The Push rod length is good but I would invest in some Crome Moly rods over stock our else you will most likely bend a few due to the added spring pressure. Also with the timing cam, make sure you get a double Roller if you can. My local Machine shop had double rollers for LT1's for only 20$ more than a single.

Plus with that big of a CAM your going to need Computer tuning.

Hope this helps
        Trey
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

The CC website indicates the 0.540 lift is with 1.5X rockers:

Camshaft Specification Table

Part Number 07-306-8
          Engine 1993-1996 Chevrolet
          350ci,
          LT1 & LT4,
          8cyl.
          Grind Number LT1 290HR-12
          Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****************** Intake * Exhaust
          Valve Adjustment******** 0 **** 0
          Gross Valve Lift********* 0.51 0.54
          Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 290 307

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.006
          ******Open Close
          Intake** 37 73
          Exhaust* 90 37

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 108 Intake CL
          ***********Intake Exhaust
          Duration At 0.05 230 244
          Lobe Lift***** 0.34 0.36
          Lobe Separation 112
          0.36 lobe X 1.5 = 0.540 gross

0.36 lobe X 1.6 = 0.576
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

If you do not plan on having the cylinder head deck milled, then the a replacement stock pushrod length of 7.200" will be fine. However if have your heads milled, then you will want to use a 7.150" length pushrod.

For the CC 306 cam, you could get away with using the CC 987 springs, but I would use the CC 978's. For these springs also use the CC 4712 seats and CC 776 retainers.

Depending on whether or not you use a non self-aligning (NSA) or self-aligning rocker will depend on whether you need to use a pushrod guideplate or not. If you decide to use the NSA's, you will need to use a guideplate and a hardened or chrome-moly pushrod.

Hardened is CC 7808 and chrome-moly is CC 7940. These are both the 7.200" length.

Comment

sorry Im not a walking Encylopedia like those two......shhheeeshhhh
              1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
              2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Thanks for any all the help i got
                I LOVE COBRA'S -
                THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

In regards to the pushrods and having heads milled, you really shouldn't assume anything about pushrod length. The correct way to do it is to buy a pushrod length checker and measure. I had my heads milled slightly and did rockers and as it turns out stock length is fine (which I assumed), but better safe than sorry. Same thing with checking piston to valve clearance. It SHOULD be good, but better to check. It's also a good double check for proper timing gear installation.
                  '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

I plan on getting it tuned by 2nd Street Speed-Perkasie, PA
                    Is Second Street using LT1_Edit now? Last time I talked to them, they didn't even know it existed. A buddy of mine took his own version to the shop to try and tune his car on the dyno, and Bill Hunsberger wasn't really able to help him very much. He's killer on the MoTeC, Accel/DFI and FAST, but he seems to shy away from the stock PCM for some reason.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

See i didn't know that i thought since i have seen alot of f-body's outside the shop that they would be the best and basically the only one around where i live. So I would need to upgrade to? to allow them to tune after upgrades.
                      I LOVE COBRA'S -
                      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

Comment

AccelDFI Gen 7, FAST, MoTeC. But that would be overkill (and expensive) on anything other than a serious "power adder" setup. You can do amazing things with the stock PCM. The hard part is finding someone who does it. I think the the owner of "pcmforless" is in PA, and you can take your car to him.

Fred

Comment

Working...
                        X