EGR Valve bypass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Valve bypass

Does anyone know how to bypass the EGR valve on a 1999 trans am ws6?

Thanks

DONT DO IT!!!!
    YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW NUCH I HATE A PREVIOUS OWNER OF MY TRANS AM BECAUSE THE BYPASSED THE EGR!! IT WILL REALLY TAKE A TOLL ON YOUR CAR!!
    1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
    V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
    previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

the EGR doesnt rob any power and doesnt even weight a pound. I would leave it alone unless you have heads and cam. I know the mods will correct me if Im wrong but all the EGR dose is let exhust gas into the intake to warm the air going into the cylinder to warm the engine. After that its shuts and dose nothing.
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Actually it allows some exhaust gas to recirculate into the intake and lean out the mixture a little. It only opens when you are cruising for any period of time.

Removing it is no performance benefit. Typically folks remove it if they purchase headers without the proper connection for it. You will need to unprogram it from your PCM if you physically remove it.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by BigDanws6
          Does anyone know how to bypass the EGR valve on a 1999 trans am ws6?

Thanks
          Check out this similar thread, pay attention to my post!

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...6492#post56492
          1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
          V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
          previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

My LS1 doesn't have the EGR on it - 01s and 02s came that way form the factory. I BELIEVE... and someone with a pre '00 LS1 can correct me if I am wrong, but the EGR setup on those motors brings a hose and passes it in front of the intake manifold, restricting airflow into it... so thus, it would cost some horsepower.

Since I didn't have to do the !EGR mod, I don't know how to do it... but I know a place where some people do

I am sure ls1tech.com has many, many archived threads about how to do it right.

www.ls1tech.com

You may also try www.ls1howto.com
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              You will need to unprogram it from your PCM if you physically remove it.
              This is true... otherwise, you'll throw an SES light, and you'll likely be running too rich.

I don't know why people are telling you not to do it... it's very commonly done on the LS1, and no one complains about problems. Just remember to have the LS1edit done to get rid of it.

Look, if it wasn't beneficial to remove it, why don't the 01+ LS1s have it?
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_82
                Check out this similar thread, pay attention to my post!

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...6492#post56492
                Most of what you posted in that thread is incorrect.

Removing the EGR will NOT affect performance. Exhaust gas is recycled to control oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by quenching combustion chamber temperature (O2 displacement, as someone else correctly posted). In the 4th Gens, it does not operate at idle, does not operate at WOT, does not operate above 3,500rpm. It is not used in any way to assist with cold starts or engine warm up.

It operates most often at low loads/part throttle, particularly when "lugging" the engine in too high a gear. In addition to reducing NOx under these conditions, it will also reduce the probability of detonation, so there is a "benefit" in keeping it. But there are far too many 4th Gens roaming the roads with no EGR systems, and they do not "stall in cold weather" or "overheat in hot weather". They do not "sputter and die" on startup on cold days. It alomost sounds like someone deleted the EGR valve on your car incorrectly, allowing EGR to enter the combustion chamber at startup/idle. That would certainly cause a lot of the symptoms you list, but that's not due to "deleting" the valve, its due to incorrectly deleting it.

You also have to understand the details of the LT1 EGR system, and the LT1 intake manifold and "seal" design, in order to understand why the EGR "riser" tube is believe to promote the "dreaded intake leak".... a problem that plagues maybe 25-30% of all LT1 engines. It is not related to a commone problem that "is common to the model-Ts'". It is a well known problem on the LT1 engine that you are apparently not familiar with.

The conditions that promote NOx formation are included in some emissions dyno testing "drive cycles", so it is possible that you could see an increase in NOx, and possibly fail due to deleting the EGR valve. Note.... "possibly".... in no way a "definite" as you stated elsewhere.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, I am pretty sure that the EGR tube creates some issues with intake flow on the LS1... I know most everyone with a pre 01 LS1 that I know of has deleted it. There's gotta be a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                    Fred, I am pretty sure that the EGR tube creates some issues with intake flow on the LS1... I know most everyone with a pre 01 LS1 that I know of has deleted it. There's gotta be a reason...
                    Not sure why you are getting defensive. I did not intend anything I posted to apply to you or what you posted. The popular "take" on the LS1 EGR setup is the fact that the distribution tube at the front of the intake manifold blocks the airflow through the throttle body. The popular mod as I understand it is to hack this tube off flush with the inside of the intake, while retaining the EGR in many cases.

Deleting the EGR system was done on the LT4 as well, because they found that the cam overlap achieved the same results, retaining enough exhaust in the combustion chamber to provide the required quench. Deleting the EGR on the 2001's could possibly have been achieved in the same manner... I admit I don't know the details.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      Not sure why you are getting defensive. I did not intend anything I posted to apply to you or what you posted. The popular "take" on the LS1 EGR setup is the fact that the distribution tube at the front of the intake manifold blocks the airflow through the throttle body. The popular mod as I understand it is to hack this tube off flush with the inside of the intake, while retaining the EGR in many cases.

Deleting the EGR system was done on the LT4 as well, because they found that the cam overlap achieved the same results, retaining enough exhaust in the combustion chamber to provide the required quench. Deleting the EGR on the 2001's could possibly have been achieved in the same manner... I admit I don't know the details.
                      OK, that's was what i was thinking... I wasn't getting defensive... didn't mean for it to come across that way.

Just trying to access some of your infinite wisdom, that's all

Comment

Working...
                      X