Denial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denial

Well, i changed the t-stat in my car (which was bad) but i started it and it made a suspiciously larger than normal cloud of steam. I let it idle and it stayed cool, but you could smell hot antifreeze from my neighbor's house. I cant think of anything less than a blown head gasket. Any ideas on cost to have a shop do it? I froze my butt off just doing the thermostat
    '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
    '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
    2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

A shop you are looking in the thousands. Doing it yourself you're looking at 100 in gaskets. Your call.

Did you check the oil for a milky color? I would say check the compression but it's so damn hard on these cars, I can understand not wanting to. I'm just saying don't replace what isn't broken, until you know for sure.

If the oil is clean it might not be the cylinder head. A good compression check will make it positive.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You need to see where it's leaking from first. It might be coming from the t-stat housing. I had mine leak from there for some reason one time. When mine leaked after I changed the stat, I turned the gasket over and cleaned everything then put it back together and didn't overtighten - worked. Those stock screws are also soft and can break if torqued to the spec in the book. Now I didn't really understand if you had an overheating problem or no heat from the heater or just why you changed it in the first place. Don't forget to go through the ritual of bleeding it a couple times to get the steam out of the heads or it might spit some hot coolant out the overflow. You need to bleed and refil at least a couple times to get it right.

Comment

Did you get the correct t'stat for your LT1? Reverse cooled system requires a special 'stat.... most auto parts store will sell you the one for a Gen 1 Chevy, because they don't know the LT1 takes a special 'stat.

Hopefully, you are using the "how to's" on Shoebox's Tech Page

Shoebox's Tech Pages

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

This is AFTER i changed the thermostat, and yes i did use the right t-stat. It is leaking into my cylinder so it must be a head/block deformity/crack or a gasket, correct?
          '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
          '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust

Comment

If you have coolant leaking into your cylinders, you had better pull the heads off and get it cleaned up quick. Don't let your rings rust to the cylinder walls. That'll call for pulling the motor, honing it out, new rings... Big job. I have heard of a few guys that blow head gaskets, let it sit, and when they get around to doing it the motor is shot.
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Ouch. No, im taking care of it tomorrow. Hopefully the head's not warped but my machinist friend says it will more than likely have to be skim cut ~ 0.010" but we'll see.
              '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke

Comment

Originally posted by ColdBird
                This is AFTER i changed the thermostat, and yes i did use the right t-stat. It is leaking into my cylinder so it must be a head/block deformity/crack or a gasket, correct?
                Typically, the metal fire ring degrades and seperates from the composite gasket. The fire ring is what is responsible for sealing the cylinder. if you didn't let the car seriously overheat, you probably did not warp or crack the head.

Comment

Ouch. No, im taking care of it tomorrow. Hopefully the head's not warped but my machinist friend says it will more than likely have to be skim cut ~ 0.010" but we'll see.
                  I doubt the head is warped or cracked. However, it is usually a rule of thumb to have your aluminum head milled a little once it's pulled. Doesn't take much to warp those alum. heads. You could probably get away with not milling them, but you still have to take them to the machine shop to have 'em checked.

Comment

While the heads are off... Port and polish maybe??? Just a suggestion. Kill two birds with one stone type of thing
                    86 Firebird, Just a lowly 6 banger, sold
                    Plans for an '02 WS6 are in the mix for 2008 (after I'm out of the army)

Comment

One thing that helps is to remove the head fasteners in the exact reverse order as assembly. This prevents alot of warping. BTW, a simple straight edge will determine if the head is warped.

Comment

straight edge'll do the trick. I would just let a shop do it though. They'll pressure check it for cracks, and check for flatness. Should be free, and if it needs milling I think it's about 40 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                        X