New Vette's V/S Old Vette's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vette's V/S Old Vette's

A while back me and my dad were talking about corvettes. I was tellin him how good Z06 and ZR1's were when we sorta came up with a nice question. Vettes have always been light because of the fiberglass bodies and had nice suspension. We wondered what would be faster, a C5 Z06 or like a 69 with a 427. 1st I was leaning toward the Z06 because I thought it was lighter, then I though that there wouldnt be a whole lot of weight difference because fiberglass is just fiberglass. Then I was leaning toward the 69 because that 427 big block would make gobs or torque. Then I considered the Z06's better suspension and stuff. Im lost as to which would be faster, maybe you can enlighten my dad and I on this.

The problem with comparing the new Vettes to the old one's is not only which year and motor you want to compare to, but also how is it set up? Today, you can't really customize much of any car you want to buy. Back then, everything was up to you. Gears, tranny, motor, motor material, wheels, tires, exhaust...you name, most of it was your choice. However, from what I saw in Motor Trend, I believe the Z06 would have the older one's beat...but, again, I'm not sure what the setup was on the 67 427 they used.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Having had quite a few vettes in the past, I can at least give you a few things to think about when comparing years and performance. The old 427 cars could be a crapshoot. Some ran like pigs, others would rip. If it was a strong example to begin with, had the right state of tune, it would rip. Gear ratios, transmission ratios, carb options, exhaust options, the list was mind boggling. The right car back then would be right with the best one today in a straight line. As soon as the twisties come to bear, the new stuff is a hands down winner. Of course, anything can be re-worked to better performance. I personally want a tripe black 69 427 convertible, aluminum block and heads, sidepipes and worked suspension converted to a front transverse spring. They handle like on rails and with the lighter block, oooh baby.

Comment

It kind of depends on what you mean by "faster" - 1/4, 0-60, top speed, etc. Everything I have read leads me to believe there would not be much of a contest - the Z06 will win almost any race you can think of against a 69. The combination of the modern transmission and tires is the biggest difference. The big block has a lot of power but would have difficulty getting it to the street. You might have a little different story if the 69 was allowed to wear some modern rubber or better yet slicks! By the way - I would not classify the Corvette as a "light" car - unless it is being compared to our pigs!
        Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

The Z06 is the fastest and best performing vette every made. I'm a fan of all years and have owned a lot of classic cars but the technology today leaves the classics behind. The ZR1 isn't much of a challenge for the Z06 either.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I would pick a ZR-1 over any ZO6 or '69 anyday. My brother had a '91 and I fell in love with it. Although the new ZO6's have cought my eye...
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Here is some food for thought from a real Corvette guy........Roger Judski who owns Rogers Corvettes in Florida http://www.rogerscorvette.com/

Roger owns one of the two ZL1 69 Aluminum block Corvettes in the world and he says this is the fastest Vette ever produced. The picture below goes into a little detail on this fantastic car. If you want to read more about the car go here http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...zl1/zl1pg1.asp
              Dave S
              2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

I spent many years living about 10 minutes from Roger's place. that was THE place to shop for vettes in years past. Seems like i was there all the time. The ZL-1 is indeed the fastest monster vette built by the factory. I had a chance to ride in a replica.... An aluminum block 427 with a 4 speed in place of a regular iron 427. I remember this one pinned me back into the seat harder than any other dedicated street car I ever rode in. Keep in mind this was 17 years ago without modern rubber. The ride was show quality with a $45000 price back then and came complete with a timeslip from Orlando Speed World with an ET of 11.00X. I don't remember the speed, but I was stunned at the performance on less than stellar tires. I can confirm by the official butt-o-meter that that car pinned you back into the seat as hard in 4th as it did in 1st. Incredibly loud too. The outside exhaust being only a foot or two from your ear. Still, the modern cars are mucho more refined. If I had to live with one as a daily ride, the new ones are a hands down winner. At the dragstrip, a good running aluminum 427 will maul anything that the modern general has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
                  Here is some food for thought from a real Corvette guy........Roger Judski who owns Rogers Corvettes in Florida http://www.rogerscorvette.com/

Roger owns one of the two ZL1 69 Aluminum block Corvettes in the world and he says this is the fastest Vette ever produced. The picture below goes into a little detail on this fantastic car. If you want to read more about the car go here http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...zl1/zl1pg1.asp
                  I was just getting ready to bring up the ZL1 Vette. There weren't to many made, but it would rattle the ZR1/Z06's world in a straight line. Most accounts vary on HP, but generally place it in the 500-600hp range. The best account was a guy who bought one, put slicks on it and ran 10s. The L71 and L88 were monsters as well with most accounts placing the HP right around 500 and they would give the ZR1/Z06 a run for its money in the 1/4. Back in the 60s, the rags like motor trend were clocking the L71s in the 12.7,12.8 range completely stock with the old skinny bias tires. The place were the new stuff kicks butt is on the road courses. However, the 60s Vettes had a really really strong run with many consecutive championships in road racing. If you look at technology advancement in cars like you look at inflation with money, the 427, tri-power Vettes were unbelievable for their time period, and we are just now catching up. I like the new stuff a lot, but there is a reason why the L71s and L88s cost over a $100,000, and the ZL1s are priceless.
                  '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                  '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                  '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                  '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                  '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                  My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                  Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy

I dont think this car will hit 180 or run high 11's on street tires like a ZO6.....and they one made maybe 5 of the 69's
                    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

I think that MAYBE just maybe that ZL1 would win in a 1/4 but definetly not in a slolam type race. The handling and the rear end gears on the 05's are much much better and would out handle any of its predicesors
                      89 305 TBI Camaro RS

http://members.cardomain.com/camarodude89

Comment

Obviously the new Z06 is built more for top speed. The ZL-1 was built for acceleration in the quarter.

Comment

Well lets compare Apples with apples.... I think the C5R maybe a better car to compare. I mean in 1969 there was no way that the average joe coud walk into a dealer and buy that ZL1 off the lot.... Maybe a L-88 but not a ZL-1. The Zl-1 is one of the rarest cars on the planet. Atleast the built over 100 L-88 in 1969... I bet the built 5 Complete Zl-1 corvetts.

No anyone with an extra 50K can go to a dealer (well a year ago) and order a Corvette with the Option code Zo6 and Have a 20 MPG 180 MPH , near 11 sec car.

It just seems like the ZL-1 is a caliber above the 03 ZO6 but I still think a 03 Zo6 is a better car alaround.
                          1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                          2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
                          X