Converting to Power Locks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to Power Locks

First off, I'm new to the board, and glad I found it. Both for getting AND giving help. I've got several years, and 4 3rd Gen's "under my belt", so to speak. So I hope that I'll be able to contribute in the future.

But this time, I'm asking for help. OK - since I have to go inside the doors on my 3rd Gen anyway to replace the power window motors - I decided to convert it to Power locks as well.

So I have all the parts needed (solenoids, switches, etc THANK YOU E-BAY!). But I don't have a schematic or wiring diagram. Nor do I have another camaro WITH power locks to use as a guide for mounting location, etc.

I'm good with electrical, so if someone knows and can "walk me through it" - I can probably comprehend.

Any help, links, info, in this area will be GREATLY appreciated.

Mark
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Another question

Oh - also wanted to ask. I've heard that ALL F-bodies were wired for a rear hatch release, but they were not installed.

So is there a wire in the center console harness that already runs to the rear hatch area for that purpose? Anyone know the details on this?

The switch and the solenoid for that are easily obtained. So that may be another future project.

Comment

Welcome to the forum

I dont have an answer for you, other than the basics. I'd recommend going to a scrapyard and stripping the door wire harnesses from a junk car. The salvage yard by me doesnt even charge for stuff that trivial and is chocked full of third gen cars.

From there plug the stuff in, get out your volt meter and figure out the loose ends. You can get a pretty good idea of how it wires up by tracing the wires and using a little logic.

Maybe someone else has more helpfull advise.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I'm planing on adding power locks to my '87 Camaro. I also have all the parts (isn't Ebay great) just haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet. I do have the Service manual and the Electrical diagnosis manual. I could scan the pages for this and email to you.

Don't know about the remote hatch release. I haven't even looked at that yet. I've been spending all my time getting the engine to run right since I got the car last April.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
        '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
        Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

I installed the rear hatch release in my 99 Camaro. It was very easy to do. I bought the rear hatch release mechanism, with solenoid, from Ebay, as well as the switch. I think both cost about 20 something with shipping. The most time consuming part was modifying the under dash panel for the switch. The one in the Camaro is made of fiberglass, and as I drilled and filed on it, it threw up quite a bit of fiberglass fiber. If you do this, please wear a dust mask, and I would wear long sleeves as well. You can also find the under dash panels on Ebay for decent prices, so I would seriously consider it, instead of trying to modify one. Now, installing the rear mechanism is as easy as removing a couple of bolts, and swapping the two mechanisms out. Of course you will have to plug the solenoid in on the new mechanism. You will also have to work at adjusting it, to get the hatch to close properly, but its not that big of a deal. I don't know what year model yours is, but I think all of the 93 and up are prewired for the rear hatch release, so its possible that the earlier models were as well. If you don't have the wires already prewired for the door locks, then you should be able to find a wiring harness for about 20 something dollars, on Ebay.

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

I can't help you, but I know somewhere that can. Go to www.thirdgen.org, and search through their Message Forums. It is the best website, by far, for 3rd gens and is filled with tons of info and knowledgeable people (just like this forum ). Even if someone can't answer your question, I bet the info is on there somewhere. If I'm not browsing on this forum, I'm there.

Good luck, and welcome to the boards!
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
            X