05 GTO vs 05 Mustang GT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe 1320
    I was under the impression that the recessed grill was killed, leaving the same grill as a carryover. The rear end does get the split exhaust to both sides.

The ad pictured above was on the back cover of the current issue of C&D. So I don't know why Pontiac would publish the ad if they didn't intend to offer it as shown.
    Dave S
    2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

i find the new gto pretty pricey and for the price i would expect it to look alot more different than a grand prix.... i wasnt to thrilled about it looking like that, but ive seen quit a few pics of the 05 model and it looks alot better, anyone know if thats how its gonna look 4 sure?
      1967 Camaro "Project"
      1972 Chevelle "454"
      1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
        I don't know why Pontiac would publish the ad if they didn't intend to offer it as shown.
        look at any dealer brochure and you will see the fine print:

The manufacturer reserves the right to make any changes. You would be suprised at how much stuff printed in magazines never makes production. But hey, time will tell.

Comment

The GTO they tested only had the two scoops on the hood, and the revised rear valence for the dual exhaust, along with 17" wheels. If I read the text on the advertisement, it appears that the 18" wheels and the "sport appearance package" are "available" = options.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Here's the thing on the GTO. Pontiac is claiming 13.0 for the '05 GTO. There is already one test car that has run 12.9 that hasn't been published yet.

The '04 got the same LS1 as the Vette and the LS2 is also the same as the Vette and SSR. They don't make the LS1 anymore.

Also, its the same tranny and rear as last year's goat.

The Sport Appearance Package is optional in black, red, silver. Or available in primer later in the year. 18" wheels are going to be available next year also.

There are many '04 GTO's faster than that '05 they tested. So one test does not make the car
            Rob
            04 GTO

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              Here's the thing on the GTO. Pontiac is claiming 13.0 for the '05 GTO. There is already one test car that has run 12.9 that hasn't been published yet.

The '04 got the same LS1 as the Vette and the LS2 is also the same as the Vette and SSR. They don't make the LS1 anymore.

Also, its the same tranny and rear as last year's goat.

The Sport Appearance Package is optional in black, red, silver. Or available in primer later in the year. 18" wheels are going to be available next year also.

There are many '04 GTO's faster than that '05 they tested. So one test does not make the car
              I don't think anyone was trying to say this is "THE" test, or that it defines the car. All I tried to do was post some info for discussion purposes. I think most of the people posting here are intelligent enough to understand that, and to understand the limitations and fallacies of "magazine" road tests.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                I don't think anyone was trying to say this is "THE" test, or that it defines the car. All I tried to do was post some info for discussion purposes. I think most of the people posting here are intelligent enough to understand that, and to understand the limitations and fallacies of "magazine" road tests.

Hence the big smile after my post
                Rob
                04 GTO

Comment

Well I just got my Hot Rod mag and on page 90 they took a 05 GT and with some bolt ons and weight reduction they have it running 12.3 without NOS. If GM wants to keep up they are going to have to add some better looks to the GTO. The price difference is hugh. I'd rath spend the 12 grand more and buy a vette over the GTO. It just looks like a cavalier on steriods.

Just my opinion...
                  2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                  1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                  2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                  2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

I love Bob Lutz.

He's taking GM in the right direction.

He used what he had. A generic Pontiac and a Corvette motor. The GTO.

A year later he drops a Z06 motor into a fresher GTO. Same price.

He will revive the sports car at GM. Just give him time.

96 TA Sold!
                    87 TA Sold!
                    80 Z28 Sold!
                    74 Formula Sold!
                    73 Z28 Sold!
                    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

About that article in C&D...They gave the Mustang a 10 in performance, and the GTO a 9. Yet the GTO out performed it in everything but skidpad, and that was a .88g vs. a .89g. And i think the lane change. Everything else, including braking by a heavier GTO is won by the GTO. So how can the mustang get a higher score? That would've made the difference in the matchup.
                      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

call me crazy......but i wouldnt mind seeing them repace the silverado ss with a colorado ss.....

lighter, ls2.......it would be cool
                        pewter 99 TA...t-tops, leather, m6, lid, longtubes back, gears, spec clutch, spohn suspension

Comment

Originally posted by cbrr_mike
                          call me crazy......but i wouldnt mind seeing them repace the silverado ss with a colorado ss.....

lighter, ls2.......it would be cool
                          I'd like the Silverado SS to actually be competitive in its segment. Use the 2 seat cab, use the lightest body fittings possible, and use a SUPERCHARGED LS2.
                          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                            I'd like the Silverado SS to actually be competitive in its segment. Use the 2 seat cab, use the lightest body fittings possible, and use a SUPERCHARGED LS2.
                            Kenne Bell or a Magnacharger would really "wake it up" . Can't imagine the low end torque you could generate with one of those blowers. I'd even accept the option for the extended cab (as Ford offers with the Harley Davidson 4-door), with the plastic "stepside" box to keep the weight down. And no 4-wheel drive.
                            Fred

Comment

Working...
                            X