Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie exhaust question.

I have a 1998 Trans Am WS.6.

The only modification it currently has is a cat back Raven Flo exhaust (comparable to flowmaster).

The question i have is, what effects the loudness of my car, the exhaust/cats/headers/cam?, i want to make my car LOUD as hell and i took it to the local exhaust shop and he said it wont get any louder. If i was to install a SLP loudmouth system would it make a big difference? Worth the money?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

The loudmouth exhaust will be louder for sure. All of the other things mentioned will make it louder. If I were you I would go with long tube headers and delete the cats if you want it loud. A big cam will take it to another level. Or how about a cutout right after the headers - very inexpensive mod that will make it "loud as hell"!
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Cutouts sound like crap. Please do not install a cutout. They offer a slight increase in power over a standard exhaust setup but again...they sound like crap. Look into LT's and a ORY pipe if you are looking for a good exhaust note.

Comment

He didn't say "sound good" he said "loud as hell"
        Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by firex
          I have a 1998 Trans Am WS.6.

The only modification it currently has is a cat back Raven Flo exhaust (comparable to flowmaster).

The question i have is, what effects the loudness of my car, the exhaust/cats/headers/cam?, i want to make my car LOUD as hell and i took it to the local exhaust shop and he said it wont get any louder. If i was to install a SLP loudmouth system would it make a big difference? Worth the money?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
          I hope you really understand what you are getting in to here... lol... because you certainly could make your car as loud as a full blown race car. At which point in time, it would annoy you and everybody else around you, let alone give you many tickets

But...

The recipe for loudness is this: long-tube headers + off-road y-pipe + some cat-back like GMMG, Corsa, or Borla. (Or long tube headers + true duals). It's generally understood that if you put on the SLP Loudmouth on an LS1 car that has no cats, you will get a wicked nasty raspy sound that is more like a ricer than muscle.

A bigger cam will make it even louder, especially in the upper RPM ranges.

That's loud though... I mean REAL loud. I wasn't prepared for how loud my car got after the headers went on. I was shocked, really ... At first, it was too loud, but I grew to love it If I had it to do all over again though, I would have installed some high-flow cats just to smooth out the sound a little bit and keep it emissions legal should I ever move to another state, or if they start testing here.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

How much effect on sound/loudness will high flow cats have? What if i got a cat back hooker exhaust system, then invested in some nice high flow cats. How does that sound?

Hooker 3 inch Cat-Back w/ dual 3 inch Chrome Tips
            Super High Flow Catalytic Converters

Comment

borla

how about a borla i know they are expencive but i hhav one with a qtp valve in it so it can be loud as hell when i want and sedate when i want at the flick of a switch
              http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
              C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
              mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Prepare to wear hearing protection - seriously. I've run headers with nothing but a Borla XR1 shorty muffler hanging on each collector, and its deafening, specially after a one hour drive at freeway speeds. Chest pounds, everything in the car rattles and vibrates, and it can damage your hearing with extended exposure. Anywhere other than a dragstrip, it sounds like total "crap" to put it politely. The neighbors claim their windows rattle when I fire it up and its still sitting in my garage, hundreds of feet from their house

I'm not sure what the fascination is with the "loud as hell" approach.... I'd much rather sneak up on people and then let the engine speak for itself only whn I stand on the throttle.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yes but

as they say loud pipes save lives
                  http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                  C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
                  mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Originally posted by firex
                    How much effect on sound/loudness will high flow cats have? What if i got a cat back hooker exhaust system, then invested in some nice high flow cats. How does that sound?

Hooker 3 inch Cat-Back w/ dual 3 inch Chrome Tips
                    Super High Flow Catalytic Converters
                    It would probably sound pretty good. But the biggest gain in sound volume you can get is from headers. The stock manifolds are very restrictive.

My car is louder now than it was when I ran it for a day with no muffler at all. (My exhaust ended at the y-pipe for a day when I was doing the Corsa install.) And like I said, my set up now is a good 2 to 3 times louder than that was.
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
                    X