Oil Or No Oil!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Or No Oil!!!!!!

OK, I was sitted here thinking about my motor I'm gonna build and started visualizing it..... ohh I'm gonna have fun....

OK back on subject.

I wanna know you thoughts about oiling the cylinders before installing the pistons.

I've heard both ways and was wondering how you all did it.

On the motor I built for my chevelle I oiled them not really thinking about it.

DISCLAIMER: This thread may contain thoughts other then your own beliefs. Please keep it civilized... I just hed to put that..
    Richard Harvey Jr.
    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Oil your piston rings, put them on the pistons.
    Oil the cylinder walls, just spread a little around with your finger. I use STP.

Turn the crank a little after they're all in to keep it lubed. Then lube it again. Never good to start an engine dry.

Lube those walls!
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Or just use assembly lube on the walls.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Assembly lube on the camshaft and crankshaft journals, and good ole oil on the cylinder walls and rings should be fine.

Comment

I always use moly assembly lube.

Comment

I soke the hole piston, rod, bearing and ring assembly over night befor assembly. I like the idea of the entire wrist pin being coated. I coat the cylinder wals as well. Im not to big a fan of that moly assembly lube. I pick this red stuff up from my Machine shop last time that was awsome. It had the viscositie of blood but stuck to the bearings and cam very well.
            1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
            2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              Assembly lube on the camshaft and crankshaft journals, and good ole oil on the cylinder walls and rings should be fine.

This is always what I have done, until my last rebuild and I used the assembly lube on the cylinder walls. I guess its nothing that you could test too easily, but the rings seemed to seat fine......
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

You might find this useful. I break in my engines this way.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Also note his emphasis on the importance of keeping that oil fresh. That is why I change mine RELIGIOUSLY. 2K miles, if I can afford it, earlier. There is no such thing as overdoing oil changes when you want your car to last. It's the lifeline... Just remember to break it in with motor oil. It seals the rings better.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                X