A few years ago in VA, there was a old
    beat Japanese car (Honda or something?),
    which the owner didn't like or was particularly
    fond of.. so someone complained his tags
    were offensive. He had VA tags "JAPJNK"
    or "JAPJUNK".. VA DMV revoked his tags.

Tonight:

I saw the ultimate in offensiveness,
    a new Nissan 350Z with the plates, "JAPGTO".

I mean, how rude to associate a GTO
    with a 350z!?

I think the DMV will be revoking some more license plates!!!

write dmv and tell em. or email em. chances are ..they dont know........ the age of the av. employee has no idea what a GTO is......

i live in VA......i would be offended if i saw it too.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

i would be rather furious if i saw that around here but all i could do is be jealous cause they are driving and i am not but when i get my car i wont let my mom buy me a peice of jap crap ill just sit around if thats my only option
      1986- honda accord lx 2.0 liter fuel injection 5-speed manual 211,000 miles-sold-
      1986- honda accord dx 2.0 liter carb. 4-speed automatic 200,000 miles-sold-
      1992-mitsubishi eclipse 2.0L DOHC 5 speed manual 16" ar rims -blew up- then i sold it- worse mistake ever (buying it)
      1991 hyundai excel-HA! sold
      1995 dodge neon 1.6 liter,5spd, cold air intake, short throw shift, buger bushings, stiffer motor mounts, strut towers/ anti sway, lowering kit, a couple other perf. mods , sleeper

Comment

Im reading this post and I am reading it in 2 ways. The first thing that comes to mind is that you people are offended by the "Jap" reference as it is sometimes considered derogatory. Then, it sounds to me that you are offended that they are comparing a 350Z to a GTO? I Just want to clear it up for me and anyone else who had problems understanding exactly what is offensive to you.

Personally, the only thing I see that may be somewhat offensive is the reference "Jap". But I can look at the plate and see that it is just an abbreviation of Japanese. So, it doesnt really offend me at all.

The other side of it being the GTO, well, I think that that is a good compliment to the GTO as the 350 is regarded as one of the best sports cars made.

Anyway, I may have made myself look silly, but I wanted to give my $0.02
        1998 Trans Am. Hooker LT's, Hooker ORY, MTI Ported Throttle Body, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow Catback, Front and Rear 1LE Sway Bars, Hotchkis STB, and a little more.

Comment

I've discussed this with my friend at work, Richard, who thinks the word 'Jap' is derogatory, but for some reason, he doesn't mind being called 'Dick'

I think it can be used in a derogatory manner, but by itself, I don't see how a direct abbreviation of a word can possibly be offensive, except by the PC crowd. Now, 'ricer' - I would think that's derogatory... except that I can say that when I've used it, I have absolutely NOT been trying to put down Asian people. I just wish there was a better word to describe those cars & their owners. Anybody got any ideas???

Comment

stupid?

jk

Comment

GTO was originaly a FERRARI nomenclasture that was borrowed by Pontiac if you want to be picky,so Ferrari should be doubly insulted!!!!
              94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

It also could infer the more generic meaning of the GTO acronym. Gran Turismo Omologato which I have read is Italian for a "grand touring machine specially engineered for racing" or a race car that has been made street legal-something along those lines.
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

It appears that someone has nothing better to do that worry about someone elses license plates????

Get over it...

Comment

Working...
                  X