anyonr running tpis zz-409 cam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyonr running tpis zz-409 cam?

I have a 95 z with a six speed tranny. I have afr 190cc heads and 1.6 rockers. My concern is, that my power should not be falling off below six grand like it is. It is not a dramatic drop(no vavle float) but I think that it should be making power at atleast 6300rpm. Does anyone have a similar setyp(H/C) or suggestions?(someone to tune it)My air-to-fuel is where it shoud be.
    Thanks for your help guys
    Also, the specs for that particular cam are :ZZ-409 Hyd Roller:

Adv. duration 287/287, duration @.050 226/226, Lift .520/.520. 112 LSA.

*Those specs are with the stock 1.5 rockers
    1995 z-28, six speed, centerforce d.f clutch, moser4:10,afr heads, zz-409 cam,full tubes w/ c.o.,nx direct port kit-150shot,hoosier qtp's
    dyno
    NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
    N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

Originally posted by Juicedz
    I have a 95 z with a six speed tranny. I have afr 190cc heads and 1.6 rockers. My concern is, that my power should not be falling off below six grand like it is. It is not a dramatic drop(no vavle float) but I think that it should be making power at atleast 6300rpm. Does anyone have a similar setyp(H/C) or suggestions?(someone to tune it)My air-to-fuel is where it shoud be.
    Thanks for your help guys
    Also, the specs for that particular cam are :ZZ-409 Hyd Roller:

Adv. duration 287/287, duration @.050 226/226, Lift .520/.520. 112 LSA.

*Those specs are with the stock 1.5 rockers
    PM back at ya.

Comment

Here is my PM reply.

Originally posted by Juicedz
      Thanks for your help, I also will be running a 200 shot threough a dp system and I am swapping my tranny to a th400. Still same recommendations? I'm worried on how big of a cam I can install. I had the springs upgraded to handle the .554 lift, but I don't know if they are good up to a 600 lift or what. Also what about piston to valve clearance, how will I know. Is it pretty much straight foward when you install a cam by taking the front end off? I really appreciate your help.
      If you are going to be spraying a 200 shot, it would benefit you to go with a camshaft that has a wider LSA and a little more split in favor of the exhaust duration and lift. This will maximize the potential of the n20. With a 111 or 112 LSA and a 200 shot, you will be blowing some if the n20 out the exhaust valve.

With the TH400, just make sure you go with a stall big enough to match the cam. A 2800 stall would be the minimum I would go with but a 3400 would still be plenty streetable but give you a whole lot more punch down low.

The best way to verify P to V clearance is by placing a thin layer of about 5/16"-3/8" of port molding clay on top of the pistons and then torquing the heads. (If you spray a little wd-40 on top of the piston it will make removing the clay much easier.) Then turn the crank a few times and remove the heads. Take a razor and cut a cross section out of the clay at the lowest points then measure that thickness at that point in the clay. Then you will be able to see exactly the tolerance between the P and V. But just remember that tolerance will grow shorter as things heat up and at high rpm's. Try to get at least a .075" clearance on the intake valve and .095" on the exhaust.

As far as the cam swap, yes it is pretty straight forward. There is a good write up of the entire procedure on Shoebox's website:

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html
      http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html

Comment

Just a point of contention..... 4:10s on the spray might not be allowing you full advantage of the torque.

Comment

has anyone run this cam and have dyno numbers?
          1995 z-28, six speed, centerforce d.f clutch, moser4:10,afr heads, zz-409 cam,full tubes w/ c.o.,nx direct port kit-150shot,hoosier qtp's
          dyno
          NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
          N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

Comment

Working...
          X