i need ta know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need ta know

I got a question for anybody out there that can answer it. I just got a 87 RS Camaro with a 2.8v6 and a five speed i was wondering if that was a t-5 or something lighter duty because i want to put a LS1 or a 305 infront of it. thanks Spartan

I'm sure there is someone here that can help you. I can't, but, here is another resource for you.

http://www.thirdgen.org They have a forum specific to the v6.
    Ok. Check this thread from Thirdgen.org
    http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=270239
    "the v6 t-5 fits the v-8 t-5 bellhousing but the clutch disc is a differant spline (there are a few here who used the v6 t-5 in there v8 car ) "

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

hmmm.... LS1 or a 305...
      tough choice. I'd have to say LS1, but you can always get a cheap 350 to drop in. Dunno about the tranny though.
      '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
      '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
      2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

Comment

Yes it's a t-5, and if you are putting a bigger engine in you would probably want to get a new transmission, and a new suspension, and some possible frame work, so ya.. might be better off just getting a 87 IROC like me .

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

If you put a light duty, stock T-5 behind an LT-1 or LS1 and it won't live long.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have read here that the LS1 has a different bell housing bolt pattern than a SBC or LT1. Besides, putting an LS1 in a 3rd gen would require a lot of electrical including a LS1 computer and would be quite expensive.

Notes: From http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/tr-3550.html "...the 3rd gen GM F-Body requires a longer input shaft. ..." I bet your T5 won't work with a LS1 Bell housing either.

The torque rating of a stock T5 is 300 lbs-ft. GM wouldn't put the T5 behind their highest output V8s because of the low torque rating. That is why the Corvette got the 4+3 transmission rather than a T5.

I think you could get away with a stock 305 or 350 but you will blow out second gear with much more horsepower/torque. Been there done that. A stock LS1 and LT1 would be too much motor for a T5.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

If there's one thing I know it's third generation f bodies. An '87 camaro w/ a 2.6 V6 did come stock with a T-5.

If you want a good source for this information check this out.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

click on 'used parts' or 'f-body information'
              1982 Trans am w/ t-tops
              V8 5.0L 305 H out of an '86 Caprice
              previous owners abused it!!!

Comment

If you decide on an LS1 you will need the T56 transmission / clutch and bellhousing to go with it. The bolt pattern on the LS1 is completely different that standard SBC/LT1

Honestly, I would sell that V6 car and buy one with an 8 in it before I did that swap.

In 1991 I swapped a 5.7 into my 1986 V6 Camaro. It cost way more than I planned and I needed everything under the sun replaced to make it work right.
                The pile of parts required is just too much. You have to replace everything.

complete engine with mounts
                fuel delivery (intake, carb or FI, fuel lines, pump, PCM, wire harness)
                spark (distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs)
                radiator, hoses & water pump
                transmission, flexplate/flywheel, clutch, starter, crossmember
                belts brackets and pulleys
                front suspension springs for heavier V8 (the V6 springs will sag too much and it will scrape)
                complete exhaust including crossover pipe and manifolds / headers
                set of factory guages with tach for V8, oil pressure sender for 60# guage
                positraction rear end

I would recommend enjoying your car as it is. When you have the means to get one with either a 3800 V6 or V8, upgrade at that point. The real power is in the V8. Save your money and do it right at a later time. You could spend thousands on your current car and still be slow. Also, your current car will never return your investment.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you go with a 305 or 350 just look for a World Class T-5 (WCT-5) it came in all the V8 cars from 88 on I believe. WCT-5 is rated for 350-400 ft# of torque as compared to the regular T-5

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/manual.htm
                    T5 std class=275 lbs-ft
                    T5 world class=305 lbs-ft (the manufacturers web site says 300 lbs-ft)
                    T45 which upgraded the Torque to 325 lbs-ft.

I think his point was he wants to use the transmission he already has. Not go out and get another one.

According to the link, an 87 5spd is rated at 275 lbs-ft. It's not going to last long behind any V8.

I agree with TraceZ. Drive it as is and when you can afford one, get a V8 car.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

GM sure pushed the WC T5 to the limit then as my 89 formula comes stock at 300 ft# torque. Any one putting any slight mod or even a very good tuned car could gain more torque. I have used my 89 WCT5 behind a 91 TPI 350 from a corvette for over a year and havent blown it yet and I havent been that nice to it sometimes. So I would say if its only rated for 305 then its under rated by a bit, as the 91 350 is rated at 340/425

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                      6.2L/382.97 ci
                      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                      WCT-5 speed
                      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                      Boss MS 18" Rims
                      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                      Custom Dual exhaust
                      1LE upgrade
                      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

thanks guys i got this thing for taking cars and just changing them completely i think i might just go with a bigger six and get the wtc t-5 thank you for all of the info
                        one thing i have v8 parts cars that are in really rough shape no motor so im going to pull the suspension parts out of thos for a harder ride with the v6 and a stouter rear
                        and the v-6 is in pristine shape ill post the car once i get started on it thanks again SPARTAN

Comment

Well i did some searching on the net and i came across some parts for a third gen. To put in an LS1 would take some mods but i found a harness to put the LS1 into the third gen my plans are to take out the T-5 and put in a T-45 behind it because the T-56 bell is the same as a T-45 and I also found a answer to the the gauge problem with a new set that acomadates the V-8. Now i'm not planning to do this swap over night it will be over a couple of years of driving on the V-6 while i gather the parts engine/trans/parts. But I want to build this car for drag and i want to do street class/road courses/or drifting.
                          Thanks for the help/suggestions, SPARTAN

Comment

P.S. The website i found all of this at is http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Comment

You can also go to www.fbodymotorsports.com They are into LS1 swaps
                              on third Gens. Hope it helps Blazer

Comment

Working...
                              X