How does this exhaust set up sound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does this exhaust set up sound?

Ok now that it is winter and i am saving money on gas i want to tdo a full exhaust set up. Starting with jet hot long tubes leading into a jet hot Y pipe into a slp loudmouth. Do i have to put cats or anything else on my car so i dont throw a code? Also how loud would my car be? I have a cut out on right now located right before the exhaust pipe bends into the muffle and the car is loud but i need louder. Also i would only get the headers installed then i would do the y pipe and loudmouth, does either require welding?
    thanks\tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

After headers, it will be louder. A lot louder. Especially if you don't have cats. But I think you need cats in IL, don't you?

Does the Loudmouth get raspy with open exhaust on the LT1 the way it does on open exhaust LS1s?

The headers + off-road y-pipe + Loudmouth combo on LS1 cars really sounds pretty nasty. Nasty as in bad. Bad as in not good.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

if you want one of the loudest but best sounding exaust setups go for the jet hot long tubes and a TSP true duel setup. A good place to hear exaust sound clips is at LS1tech.com they have a ton there for you to listen to.
      1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
      1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

I personally would find it to be annoyingly loud. Cutting the cats will give a noticably louder and sharper sound. When I added my hooker shorty headers it further cleared up the sound and added a lot of rumble to it and possibly some volume. It really sounds mean, but definately not annoying on a daily basis. I prefer Borla and Raven over Loudmouth. Loudmouth produces an wannabe hotrod sound in my opinion and would annoy me very quickly, but the cars I have heard them on may not have had cut cats and long-tube headers either. You might be able to make it sound decent. Think about dual exhaust as well, you just can't beat it.
        1984 15th Anniversary Trans Am: Stock 350 with MSD Billet distributor, MSD 6A computer, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires, MSD Blaster 2 Coil, Moser Ford 9", Willwood brakes, TCI streetfighter 700R-4 w/B&M Megashifter, Hooker competition headers, true dualed 2.5" exhaust with Raven Z33 mufflers, 160F thermostat, Howe 2" dual core aluminum radiator, and a Flexalite 2500CFM dual-fan set up.

Comment

But I think you need cats in IL, don't you?
          I have no cats... I have had no problems. I have heard of a couple cases where cops have pulled over a no cat setup and smelled it and ticketed my friend.

I have been pulled over numerous times and have never had a problem...But i always shut it down before they get to my window.

Not a problem in Illinois

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
          Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

I think it would sound pretty good. Any specific reason you're looking at Jet Hot?
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
              Does the Loudmouth get raspy with open exhaust on the LT1 the way it does on open exhaust LS1s?

The headers + off-road y-pipe + Loudmouth combo on LS1 cars really sounds pretty nasty. Nasty as in bad. Bad as in not good.
              Worse. Loudmouth's just don't sound good period in my opinion. Way too raspy and not a good note. Sounds just as ugly as a cutout behind a y-pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                Worse. Loudmouth's just don't sound good period in my opinion. Way too raspy and not a good note. Sounds just as ugly as a cutout behind a y-pipe.
                What exhaust would sound good then. Only reason i was going to go with a loudmouth is becuase everybody here says it is really loud and it is a great exhaust. What about Mufflex. I want a Corsa but dont have $750 to put towards just a catback.
                I am leaning towards Jet Hots becuase well there really isnt a reason except for a few of my friends have told me that they are the best. I am open to suggestions, so what is another good header. What about Hooker Super Comps?
                tom
                1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

Originally posted by purepwrta
                  What exhaust would sound good then. Only reason i was going to go with a loudmouth is becuase everybody here says it is really loud and it is a great exhaust. What about Mufflex. I want a Corsa but dont have $750 to put towards just a catback.
                  I am leaning towards Jet Hots becuase well there really isnt a reason except for a few of my friends have told me that they are the best. I am open to suggestions, so what is another good header. What about Hooker Super Comps?
                  tom
                  For LT1 longtubes, I like the Pacesetter's the best. Jet Hot's would be my second choice.

Have you looked into the MAC catbacks for the LT1's? They sound good and are not raspy and they are less than $400 for the dual polished tips.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                    Way too raspy and not a good note. Sounds just as ugly as a cutout behind a y-pipe.
                    lol I have yet to have someone tell me that . Oh well, no biggie lol

Anyways, the only reason I ask about Jet Hot headers is I've heard some bad things about them, specifically their ceramic coating not lasting. I'm probably going to end up going with AS&M, but those are mid-lengths. As for long-tubes go, I have no clue so go with what Kevin and everyone else lol. I wouldn't quite dis-count the LoudMouth unless you've heard it and don't like it. Just my opinion.
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

All i have to say is if you have the cash to do so.....

True Duals

When i have the $$$, that's what I'm doing
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

you can't get true duals on a 98 LS1 trans am can you?
                        1998 TA
                        1970 GTO Judge
                        1975 TA 6.6
                        1970 Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by birdman83
                          you can't get true duals on a 98 LS1 trans am can you?
                          sure can http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...ProductID=1314

Comment

How much and what are some sites that i can look at some true dual systems?

Comment

the setup from texas-speed.com is like $420

Comment

Working...
                              X