More Valvetrain Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Valvetrain Questions

Alright, so i decided on a cam, Comp Cams CCA-07-501-8, lift is only .488/.495, but it has good off idle power/torque and needs little tuning. They are claiming at least 10% increase in power with exhaust so it should be plenty for me

How necessary is it to replace valve springs with a mild cam like this? Comp Cams recommends it with any cam change so i will probably do it because they say it voids the warranty if you dont.
    Probably change the lifters, too at 74k miles?
    '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
    '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
    2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

It would be good to go ahead and replace the valve springs. The lifters can be re-used, but if you have the money it would be wise to replace them with a fresh cam.

You could use the comp 986's with a low spring rate of 296 lbs/in and a max lift of .600" with a 1.6 rocker. They are $80 at most online speed shops.

As far as the lifters, with that small of a cam, you could just use stock replacement roller lifters. GM Part# 5234890. 16 of them would cost you $46.14 right now through www.gmpartsdirect.com

Comment

I am in agreement here. Valve springs should definately be replaced when you change cams to a higher lift. Those springs have already taken a "set" and if you start increasing the lift, something is going to give and usually that will be first the spring, and then something else more costly. Better to do it now. I would also do the lifters as well. Come to think of it.......
      If I were doing a cam swap, I would replace:

Timing chain, cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, rockers, locks, retainers, etc. Any stock parts with wear would immediatly wear the new parts at an accelerated rate.

Comment

yeah, i already found all the parts, just checking before i got them.
        I went ahead and ordered it all this morning from Summit. $611 for cam lifters and springs 2nd day air to AK.
        Hopefully they get here soon as the heads are at the machine shop right now and i want the spring on before they reassemble them.
        '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
        '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
        2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

Comment

Working...
        X