Exhaust rattle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust rattle?

I have a 95' T/A and it has an anoying rattle.It does it mostly at idle and slow excelartion. I think its the cat.? i tried inspecting everything in that area and no luck? If it is the cat., any suggestions on fixing it? im kinda straped for cash so, i cant just replace it with a new one. Maybe i could get one from a salvage? or does it need to be fixed imeaditely?

Just out of curoisity, i believe the 95 has 1 cat. , where as the 96'+ had dual cats and more horsepower :confused. I know in the old days guys would just cut them out, if there so bad for performance why leave them on, let alone add another one in 1996?
    any help apreciated!
    Jordan

Depends on where you live, and if you need to have emissions testing, then you will need to get a new one before your testing. Salvage yards are prohibited from selling you a used one.

Mine disintegrated around 150k, and since I don't live in an area with emissions testing, I never replaced it.
    The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

i live in oklahoma, there not to strict

Comment

The catalyst has probably started to break up, that is why the internal rattle. You have several options. You could replace the cat with another one. The second option if emissions aren't strict is to either gut the cat or replace with a straight pipe. You would be required to run an 02 simulator in place of the rear 02 sensor which is responsible for monitoring the effeciency of the converter.

Comment

Before you dump the cats, get under the car and tighten all the exhaust clamps. Mine started to rattle just like that. I checked and found a clamp that was only hand tight. No more rattle.
          Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

I agree, dont go out and spend money on a new one, sometimes aftermarket pipes may fit a little differently, in my case the pipe was rattling on a brace right behind the tranny, just tightened everything that connected it and its gone
            1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

Working...
            X