Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delteq installed and an upper rpm stumble?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delteq installed and an upper rpm stumble?

update: got the WP issue resolved, it was a bad ground. BUT NOW I have a stumble above 5000 RPM that continues through the upper RPM's. I didn't have this problem before the Delteq. I thought the Delteq would smooth out my upper RPM's but it looks like it's made it worse. Anyone have any guesses as to where this stumble came from and why it appeared after the Delteq? (note: this is unrelated to the stumbling issue I posted on here couple of weeks ago)

What kind of stumble? does it cut out badly or surge? It needs to have a scanner on it and observe what happens to the injector pulse width, short and long term corrections, 02 values. Where did you get the coils? If you picked them up at a recycler, you might want to ohm the coils..... take a reading across the towers of each coil. the resistance should be consistant across the towers of each coil. If not, that is a very possible reason for a higher rpm misfire.

Hey Fred........ any insights?

Comment

the coils are the ones that came in the Delteq kit....the stumble could be described more like a *poppoppop* when I get above 5000 RPM. The car still pulls while it's doing it but it's obvious that the stumble is affecting performance....Just odd to me how this problem surfaced after the Delteq install. I'm pretty sure everything is hooked up correctly since the car runs great up until around 5000.....

Comment

This may sound a little goofy, but get the car into a dark spot, open the hood, start the car and have someone operate the throttle. Look for any blue glow or arcing from the coil pack or any of the plugs and wires. You *may* be getting voltage leak to other wires or to ground.

Comment

Unfortunately, new coils can be defective, and sometimes coils only crap out when they get hot or under a lot of voltage pressure. If the problem is obvious, like a short or open, you may find it with a meter, but the secondary wires are thinner than hair and if there's a break in it they can open when hot, but be OK when cold. Just potting the coil can cause stress on the secondary wire and it's connections.

Hopefully you just got too hot of a plug or a bad ignition wire. Both them things will cause that high rpm popping. The too hot plug situation is a worse case than a simple misfire, though, cause that could cause detonation which is a lot more violent than a miss.

Comment

Working...
          X