Thinking about buying LT1 edit a few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying LT1 edit a few questions

I am thinking about buying LT1 edit and I have a few questions.

#1. How easy is it to use or how easy is it to really screw things up? I support PC all day but its all windows based, is LT1 edit windows based or at least as simple to use?

#2. Graphic interface or do I need some programming background ?

#3. I have two PCMs, can I use a single copy of LT1 edit (One is stock for smog, the other will be for performance) to program both PCMs without extra cost?

#4. Are there any other tunning products I can or should be looking at (please dont say Hypertech )?

Thanks in advance
    Bob
    1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
    1 of 463
    LT4 knock module
    D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
    strut tower brace
    SLP fan switch
    160* t/stat
    Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
    DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Originally posted by BadWS6
    I am thinking about buying LT1 edit and I have a few questions.

#1. How easy is it to use or how easy is it to really screw things up? I support PC all day but its all windows based, is LT1 edit windows based or at least as simple to use?
    Not easy to use, just very powerful with a lot of features and minimal explanations as to what it all does. I even have questions about a couple of the parameters that no one has been able to answer. I have the OBD1 version, so I don't know how different the OBD2 version is. It is powerful enough to destroy your engine, and if you lose power while programming the PCM, there's a good chance the PCM needs to have the flash chips replaced to work - several guys have had this happen for various reasons. I have been using it for about 4 years, and no problems so far.
    #2. Graphic interface or do I need some programming background ?
    Windows GUI based, and menu driven.
    #3. I have two PCMs, can I use a single copy of LT1 edit (One is stock for smog, the other will be for performance) to program both PCMs without extra cost?
    You would need to have it set up for the extra PCM lisence - cost is $50 extra.
    #4. Are there any other tunning products I can or should be looking at (please dont say Hypertech )?
    You might look at Tunercat - it's less expensive. Consider Datamaster for Logging.
    Thanks in advance
    Bob

Comment

Just a warning if you don't know what your doing either have someone who does help you out or order a tune. I have tuner cat and to be honest don't understand half the stuff you can do with it, though I do know you can incredibly damage your car if you mess it up. Just be careful with whatever you choose to do.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

TunerCat just released their first OBD-II programs, but the 96/97 F-Body is not included in the models supported. They apparently expect it to release early next year:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323577

He's OBD-II... he can't use DataMaster, he has to use AutoTap for scanning.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I've had LT1-EDIT for about a month now. Wish I knew how to use it and there "mailing list" thing isn't really any help. I wish the program came with better "owners manual"(if you wanna call it that) I guess I'll have to find someone local that has it and hope they will help me get the hang of it.

Very powerful program. Very poor repersentation/info regarding what tables change what.
          Richard Harvey Jr.
          '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TruckMuddr
            I've had LT1-EDIT for about a month now. Wish I knew how to use it and there "mailing list" thing isn't really any help. I wish the program came with better "owners manual"(if you wanna call it that) I guess I'll have to find someone local that has it and hope they will help me get the hang of it.

Very powerful program. Very poor repersentation/info regarding what tables change what.
            That is the very reason I decided not to buy it. If you don't have a programming background you may be in trouble. For what I wanted to change it was better for me to use Madz28(Ion Soltan). Got what I needed for a lot less.
            Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

For a mostly stock engine or even minor mods would it be reasonable to ask a person on this forum that is well versed in LT1 Edit to email you a tune?

How much work would it be for someone that knows what they are doing to remove a speed limiter, change the gear ratio and tune for a CAI and catback?
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The software is lisenced to the particular PCM to protect the guys that sell it. Also, he would either have to send his PCM to someone who had a bench setup for downloading and has an unlimited lisence version of the software. In otherwords, a tuner.

But to answer your question, just changing those types of parameters is pretty simple cause you aren't really going to do much for a cat back & cold air except get rid of the rich spot around 5 grand and you could firm up the shifts if the guy's car has an A4.

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Madz28 here I come
                  1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                  1 of 463
                  LT4 knock module
                  D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
                  strut tower brace
                  SLP fan switch
                  160* t/stat
                  Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
                  DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                    For a mostly stock engine or even minor mods would it be reasonable to ask a person on this forum that is well versed in LT1 Edit to email you a tune?

How much work would it be for someone that knows what they are doing to remove a speed limiter, change the gear ratio and tune for a CAI and catback?
                    I have a preview version of LT1 edit. Can someone e-mail me a .lt1 file that I could evaluate whether to buy it or not.

I also have tuner cat downloaded and if anyone has a tune file .bin for it I would appreciate it too.

I am looking for a tune for a T56 rather than an automatic. It seams like I remember some parameters being different like idle speed vs temp.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                    X