1995 A4 trans question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 A4 trans question

Since I have upgraded my suspension, I have noticed that when I go around a corner kind of pushing it that if I get back on the gas while pulling the Gs, the motor just revs like it is in neutral (A4). It won't start pulling again until the Gs are unloaded. Has anyone else noticed this? My fluid level is in the normal range. I'm thinking I am slinging the fluid to one side and it is sucking air in the trans pump. I'm wondering if a deeper trans pan with a longer pickup would help. I remember reading on the board than someone installed a deeper pan and had problems with the pickup extension tube. I can't find the thread using the search. It may have been before the board changed to this format. I hope this isn't a sign that my trans is going south. It also doesn't seam to want to shift from 1st to 2nd under full throttle. I let it go to ~6300 RPM the other day before I let off to let it shift into 2nd. (stock PCM programming)
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Definately not normal. You need to pull the pan and see what's going on. fluid is not getting picked up properly.

Comment

FYI I ordered a deep trans pan with the extension tube. I'll post the results.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Update.

I installed a Summit deep sump trans pan and filled it with Mobil 1 synthetic atf fluid and it is definitely worse. I went around a corner and it revved up and shuddered going back into gear. I stomped it in 1st gear and when it got to about 4500 rpms the trans let go. It was like I put it into neutral. I let off and got back in the gas some and it went into gear and drove like normal. I guess it's trans time. BTW there were no foreign objects in the pan when I took it off. No metal shavings. The fluid looked normal. I guess it's just worn out.

Comment

beating on it with 111k will certainly show off any issues. i went through 6 4L60e's in one summer, all GM ones, i would say go rebuilt with some decent internals and a shift kit, deep pan, and external cooler.
          2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
          1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
          past rides:
          1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
          2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
          1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
          2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
          2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
          1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
          1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
          1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

My 4L60E did the exact same thing. It is most likely that all the fluid is being slung to one side of the valvebody and not allowing it to function properly. My 4L60E was on the verge of losing the 3-4 clutch so I don't know if was related or not.

Just for reference, I have driven various other auto cars that have done the same thing though. Took some real hard corners and the trans acted like I bumped it into neutral. I'm fairly certain that it is just the fluid being slung to one side of the valvebody. But that is not to say that that additionally rules out any other trans problems.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              My 4L60E did the exact same thing. It is most likely that all the fluid is being slung to one side of the valvebody and not allowing it to function properly. My 4L60E was on the verge of losing the 3-4 clutch so I don't know if was related or not.

Just for reference, I have driven various other auto cars that have done the same thing though. Took some real hard corners and the trans acted like I bumped it into neutral. I'm fairly certain that it is just the fluid being slung to one side of the valvebody. But that is not to say that that additionally rules out any other trans problems.
              I was thinking the exact same thing until today when it let go while going straight.

I've always heard that with an automatic with that many miles on it not to touch it or it will go bad. I've always thought that was dumb but now I'm not so sure. It is definitely worse now. Even at half throttle it doesn't seam to shift as hard as it did. I hate automatics.

Comment

I kind of had problems.. I felt the extension tube/filter was too loose.. I put
                it all in and prayed for the best.. Had to get some extra seals to use, because
                the first one was screwed up and I didn't trust it on the extension tube..

But haven't tried to take any corners like your doing...

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                again until the Gs are unloaded. Has anyone else noticed this? My fluid level is in the normal range. I'm thinking I am slinging the fluid to one side and it is sucking air in the trans pump. I'm wondering if a deeper trans pan with a longer pickup would help. I remember reading on the board than someone installed a deeper pan and had problems with the pickup extension tube. (stock PCM programming)

Comment

Working...
                X