Removing window tint....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing window tint....

The Grand Prix I bought has some nasty purple window tint all around, and the rear window tinit is starting to bubble and it's installed so bad I can't use my rearview mirror at all because you can't see out of the back window. Can anyone tell me how to remove this tinting... I'd like to remove it all, sides and back. Is it hard enough that a professional should do it (especially the back with the defroster), or is it something I can do? I've never messed with tint before, so I have no clue.

Thanks!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

For the rear window, I would have someone do it just to save the risk of damaging the rear defogger. The rest I've heard isn't too bad, but I've never done it myself. Are you going to get new tint down the road? If so, I'd just take it to a reputable shop and have them strip it and put the new stuff on. Kill two birds with one stone. Good luck and take care.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Check with a shop that does tint. I was guoted about $25 per window to remove it a few years ago. Its mostly elbow grease to get it off, and I think the guy says he uses vinegar to help get it off.
      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by pete
        Check with a shop that does tint. I was guoted about $25 per window to remove it a few years ago. Its mostly elbow grease to get it off, and I think the guy says he uses vinegar to help get it off.
        I recently un-tinted a drivers door window. I just peeled it off, then I used a razor blade with simple green to remove the adhesive.

The back window would be a little harder. I wouldnt be afraid to DIY, though. Just peel it off and find a good adhesive remover that is safe for glass. Try looking at a body shop supply place.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

ammonia works good. I just did mine on another car, came right off with a razor blade. Then finish off with the amonia.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

My rear window tint is bad.. The shop quoted me $44 for the job.
            Black 98 Z/28 (Taz),Lid,FRA mod, STB,SLP LoudMouth catback .

Comment

While I haven't tried this myself, a pro once gave me the tip of coating the tint heavily with goof-off and immediatly stick clear plastic wrap to the tint and close it up. Let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Open it up and the tint should peel right off with little effort. Again, I haven't tried this yet so you are on your own.

Comment

gasoline peel it off and use gasoline to wipe off the glu. it will smell tho
                1999 T/A M6 STOCK Slp Loudmouth , SKIPSHIFT ELIMINATOR, KNN FILTER SLP Short Throw Shifter w. slanted short stick, Ram PowerGrip Clutch C6Motorsport Rims w. 285/40 GoodYears
                CAR IS SOLD

Comment

My original window tint ,the stock blue-green tint, is scratched up from the weather strip runing on top of the door, anyone has this proble? Can the original tint be removed, and how?
                  1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                  "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Reply from a former tinter

I used to tint, so this is what we did at our shop. To remove old tint, the first thing you do is peel it off. If it's purple, this will be either really easy or really hard. Good tint comes off in one piece. Crappy tint comes off in about a billion. You just have to deal with it. The key on the back window is to peel it by hand (in however many pieces it decides to come off in), and get a spray bottle and pour straight ammonia in it. Spray the back window (after you get the tint off) with ammonia, and sit it out in the sun. Spray it about every 20 minutes, and after about an hour the glue should come off pretty easy. We used a no-scratch pad (tough to find retail but the local tint shops keep them by the case). This looks like a scouring pad, but it doesn't leave scratches in glass like a real scouring pad does.

For the rest of the windows, peel the tint off, then use a mixture of a little bit of baby shampoo and water. Spray the window down, take a razor blade, and the glue comes right off.

If you have a steady hand, you can scrape a defroster back window off with a blade, but if you hit one of those lines, bye-bye defroster. I really can't recommend anybody do this, but it does make life a lot easier. BTW, some tint shops also have rear window defogger repair kits, just in case they mess up. The downside is you can't tint back over it as it requires solder joints to be made. You'll never see them unless you get in the back seat and look for them, but they disrupt the glass surface enough to prevent re-tinting.
                    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

CRM gasoline peel it off and use gasoline to wipe off the glu. it will smell tho

Not in my car!

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
                      Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Naptha works pretty good. Home Depot carries it. Just about any solvent will work to remove the adhesive from the window.

Comment

Zippo fluid will remove most anything that uses glue to stick on.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims
                          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                          Custom Dual exhaust
                          1LE upgrade
                          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Removing Old Tint

To remove old tint use a tint-remover. You can buy this stuff at Wal-Mart, Autozone, or Advanced Auto. It is cheap and the only other thing you need is a razor blade. Just spray it around the edges till it soakes some (about 10 min) then start scraping. Do it slowly some tint has two layers and you will pull the top layer off leaving you a sticky bottom layer which is like a price tag and is impossible to remove cleanly without a lot of work. Use Windex w/ vinegar to clean up. If you do have to use ammonia use DILUTED ammonia, and make sure you are in a well ventalated area.
                            Speed kills... Drive a Ford and live forever!

Comment

Working...
                            X