NFB: scam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: scam?

I know the whole buyers scam thingy...but it different this time around since we're the one wanting to by the car...it's for my cousin and she recieved this email today...I thought you guys could help sniff out anything fishy.

Hello, I am getting a divorce right now and I need to sell the car as
    soon as possible. That's why the price is so low. I receive 5-6 offers
    a day on-line but buyers don't seem to be serious (some scam artists
    who use fake cashiers checks, etc.). I'm a busy person, I have to work
    a lot and because of the divorce I don't have enough time to arrange
    appointments with all buyers interested in buying my car. I would
    certainly prefer to make this deal by personal meeting, however at the
    present moment it is just impossible. I am on the way all the time and
    can hardly properly communicate on the phone with the buyers.

So I suggest that we should use on-line third party escrow service
    to complete our deal. I need to be sure that you are really interested
    in my car. I will need a down payment on a escrow website of $2000
    (the rest of the sum you may pay within 14 days). The escrow will hold
    the funds until you become the owner of the car. When we meet and you
    will get an opportunity to inspect the car, the escrow will give me
    the money, only if you made up your mind and want to buy it. If you
    don't like the car you will receive your down payment back. I will
    cover all escrow fees. In such way both sides are protected and even
    overprotected in all possible instances. Hope you understand my
    concerns. The car is in a very good condition. Email your reply ASAP
    please. Thank you

fishy??? It's for a 01' Toyota Camary for 8K

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

bad news man. Who controls the Escrow, you put money in but who says when it coems out? If you buy the car he has to get it to you so his too busy thing holds no water, why 2k down just to check it out? I would ignore this and look elsewhere. As far as him getting the email, it could be random, or the guy could have phished the email address from a site your brother looked on for cars...RUN away fast...

Also, he has no time to talk on the phone but can sit and type a long winded email about having no time...
    NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
    (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

As far as I know, the Escrow thing is the best way to do it. They will not give them the money, unless you tell them that the deal is acceptable. As far as them paying the Escrow fees, well you better get that in writing, or you may end up paying it. Also, get the name of the Escrow service and Email address, so you can call and talk to them to get a feel for who they are. They may even have a Dunn and Bradstreet listing that you can check out.
      Here is a link to Escrow services information on Ebay:
      http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/escrow.html

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

[QUOTE= If you don't like the car you will receive your down payment back. I will cover all escrow fees.[/QUOTE]

that line sound bs to me. cos he gonna loose money before deal made, who would do things like that. unleast he has friend in escrow and take all the money and run.
        2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
        SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
        Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Here are a few things to consider when dealing with car purchases.

Rule #1. Never put money down on a car without inspecting it first.

Rule #2. See rule #1.

The day I put a deposit down on a car that I haven't inspected is the day that space monkeys fly out my differential.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Here are a few things to consider when dealing with car purchases.

Rule #1. Never put money down on a car without inspecting it first.

Rule #2. See rule #1.

The day I put a deposit down on a car that I haven't inspected is the day that space monkeys fly out my differential.

speaking of monkeys:
            http://www.superlaugh.com/fun/adopted.htm
            1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
            "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Escrow is an Ebay recommended third party site. Legit as you can get for third parties dealing with high priced online transactions.

https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/escrow.html

Check it out.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
              Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

My thing is, if it doesn't feel 100% right, then i move on. I mean, how many camrys are out there be sold?
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I don't like it. The way that email reply reads comes off as being too well thought out. The grammer just isn't there either in the way it's written, and while it's a major improvement over the Nigerian things, it still screams scam to me.
                  Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Scam. Move on, as someone else said... There are plenty of other cars out there.
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

Is this the last Toyota Camry out there? Why go through all this additional hassle? Aren't there any that you can go and look at, drive, and then make a deal on right there?

All there new fangle deals just seem like a new way to part you with your money faster. I wouldn't put a dime up front for something I haven't seen in person, that goes all the way back to when the Datsun 240Z was on a list in the early 70's, and a number of Harley's I was going to buy over the years....... funny how all this stuff becomes available without deposits.
                      The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

I kinda figured it was...or is. Preciate guys...I really don't care about it...it's just my cousin really wants it cause it's so cheap (another give away it's a scam)...I'll be sure to tell her to move on.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                        X