Ebay or AutoTrader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay or AutoTrader?

Where do you guys recommend I place an ad for my car? I am thinking AutoTrader... but does anyone have any experience with them trying to sell a car? It's $40 for a photo ad, and $55 for a premium photo ad... I don't want to throw that money down the drain.

Is it worth it?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Ebay, that's where I found my TA, although I was the second inline since the primary bidder backed off,and the guy called me back. I guess with ebay you get more exposure, you have to set some ground rules, like serious bidders no one with negative feed back etc. and advise peopel to come and check it out before they bid on it, this way you could get feeling about the bidders.
    I sold my wrecked 1990TA on ebay, guy came through, it was a sweet transaction.
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

I'm worried about doing it on Ebay and having it not meet the reserve... I have seen a lot of attempted auctions fail becuase the reserve doesn't get met.

What happens then? Do I lose money for posting it?
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Am not sure about not meeeting hte reserve, butthey charge for everything these days and also i think they take smalll % of the final sale price. It's a risk, non paying bidders are the worst.
        Check out thier rules.
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

I'd reccomend Autotrader, they have a "list it til it sells" policy if you choose that option, it's only a few dollars more. I got quite a few leads from Autotrader selling mine. Beware of EBay's fees when selling a car, it can end up costing you an arm and a leg to sell through them. They charge (at least they used too) a flat rate (I think it was around $80) and then a percentage of the final sale on top of that. It can get expensive, but of course you get a lot more exposure. If it were me, I'd try Autotrader first with their "list til it sells" feature, and give it a month or so. If it hasn't sold by then, try ebay. If you don't meet the reserve or something, at least you still have it on Autotrader. Keep in mind, this is the worst time of year to sell an f-body. If possible, you have a much better chance of selling and get a better price if you can wait til spring.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Don't even bother with ebay J. The f-body market is bad enough as it is in the real world much less in cyber ebay space. Autotrader would probably be good. $.99 for a copy in every major convenience store aint too shabby for marketing your car.

LS1tech will get you some responses as well I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
              Don't even bother with ebay J. The f-body market is bad enough as it is in the real world much less in cyber ebay space. Autotrader would probably be good. $.99 for a copy in every major convenience store aint too shabby for marketing your car.

LS1tech will get you some responses as well I'm sure.
              It's done. I am on AutoTrader now.

Comment

Autotrader is the best. Found my car in one day 13 miles from my house in
                one day got a super deal. Blazer

Comment

Found my car on autotrader. I wouldn't trust ebay to buy anything over a coupla hundred dollars. I'm probably not the only one that wouldn't buy something without seeing it. Plus it will be listed alongside everything on ebay, not just cars in the area. I don't know if they've changed this but iirc they break down the U.S. into areas a couple of states wide. My vote goes to autotrader.

Good luck
                  1989 TA
                  Flowmaster exhaust
                  Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
                  K&N CAI
                  Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...lor=&cardist=0

There I am...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                      I think $19k is fair. Should get some bites pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        I think $19k is fair. Should get some bites pretty soon.
                        WOW! I might not be asking enough!!!! Look at what all the others are selling for.

Run a search for 2002 Trans Ams, and I am on the last page, because I am one of the cheapest!!!

Maybe I should be asking more along the lines of $21K ????? The dealers are all 23K+

Comment

I just spent 19,500 on my 01 very clean WS6. I felt it was a good deal in my area here in nor Cal. Wish I would have seen your ad a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by my_rocz
                            I just spent 19,500 on my 01 very clean WS6. I felt it was a good deal in my area here in nor Cal. Wish I would have seen your ad a month ago.
                            Darn. Oh well... what can ya do?

I'll give it some time and hope this guy from Louisiana pulls through.

Comment

All you have to do to sell a car is put it on a busy street corner in your area... I WILL SELL.

(Just check it everyday to make sure it doesnt get towed!)
                              No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                              X