Question on a V-6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on a V-6

I've got a '95 Firebird (Yeah,v6, laugh it up) and am looking to do some simple bolt ons, nothing too expensive. I came across this intake on e-bay and want to know if it looks legit. Or, are there better intakes for my engine?

Here

ain't nothing wrong with a 6...we got a lot members with V6's.

it looks like it works...of course it will if it bolts up. It's a simple piece...should work fine.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Looks like a good system. Shipping seems kind of high. $15.00!

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
      '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
      Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Thanks much for the quick replies. Are there any other air intakes that might work better than this for the 3.4L?

Comment

Is the V6 in your 95 the 3.4L or the 3.8L? I beleive both were available during 1995.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

injuneer is right...I believe both were availible...

anyhow...here's SLP's CAI

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21012

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Its the 3.4L.

Also, is it worth paying the bigger bucks for the SLP intake? I know they basically do the same thing, but does the one on e-bay look shifty compared to the SLP, or is it legit as far as advertised gains?

Comment

gains are probably similar...personally, I'd run with the SLP...I just feel better knowing I'm getting quality stuff...just my .02

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

The SLP kit offers the advantage of taking cold air from inside the driver's side fender. The plate with the two holes in it blocks the filters off from the hot engine compartment air.

The "e-Bay" kit does not do that. It is pulling air from next to the radiator, and its going to be warmer than air in the fender. It might even be hotter than the air from the stock airbox, since that has at least one outlet through the wall next to the headlight (assuming it it similar to the V8 air setup).
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by LimTeng99TransAm
                    gains are probably similar...personally, I'd run with the SLP...I just feel better knowing I'm getting quality stuff...just my .02
                    Yup. The price on the ebay system makes me wonder about the quality of the parts. It's less than what I paid for 1 of the 2 K&N air filters I have on my car in the stock locations. Anything is better than stock, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using a no-name filter on any of my engines.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                    '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                    Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

SLP it is!

Comment

Working...
                      X