Oil Pressure and Synthetic Oil Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure and Synthetic Oil Change

Hey everyone. Two questions. Have a 99 WS6 with 24000 miles. The last month of driving (it's hibernating now ) my oil pressure was pretty high. More times than not inbetween 3/4 and all the way. It never pinned the oil pressure line even with higher RPM's (not redline). I don't have too much oil in it, if anything it's a tad low. nothing major though. Second question, I put Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 in it. How long should i change this oil? i used to change it on my 95 formula every 3000 but it gets expensive and my father says it's a waste of money every 3000. Any input? Thanks
    99 Black WS6
    99 Black Ski-Doo Mach Z
    94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Its never a waste of money to put in good oil. It makes the engine last longer and run cooler. Yes synthetic is expensive, especilay in a daily driver due to mileage. The benifits of synthetic way outway the cost. It privides a HP increase as well (according to some sources). You can get away with not changing the oil quite as often as it does not breakdown as fast as regular oil and due to the benifits of less wear there is less contaminants in the oil, unless you have major blow by. Theoreticly you can extend the oil change time by 1000 miles or so but personally I just do it every 5000KM which is 3125 miles, If I was low on money I would extend it to 7000 KM(4375 miles) but no more for me.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Synthetic oil should be changed just as often as regular oil. It doesn't break down as fast but it's still carrying all of the dirt and grime in it.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I ran Mobil 1 synthetic since day two and after 122K miles, I had to do headgaskets. When I look at the cylinders....... the factory crosshatch hone was still perfectly visible. No detectable wear after all those miles. The rest of the engine was exceptionally clean too. That should tell ya something. I chage it every 3K miles. A couple of times due to being on the road, I let it go as high as 5K, but that was very rare.

Comment

My 94 t/a with LT1 currently has 127xxx miles and as far as I know it's always used conventional motor oil. It's time for an oil change, should I consider synthetic? If so, what do you guys recommend? Also, what oil filter do you recommend in conjunction with the synthetic oil?

Thanks,
          Jody
          1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

Comment

I run 5w-30 Mobil 1. And use Fram oil filters
            99 Black WS6
            99 Black Ski-Doo Mach Z
            94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

Mobil1 with Mobil1 filters here...don't cut yourself short on oil...probably the most important thing you can do for your car...period.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Mach83
                I run 5w-30 Mobil 1. And use Fram oil filters
                Well..... you got it 1/2 right. The FRAM filters have been ripped to shreds in comparitive oil filter studies. I've personally had major problems with them. The shop that built my engine stopped using them after I pointed out some of the shortcomings of the FRAM. They hadn't realized the filters were causing some of the problems they had.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You know it's intersting why Fram can't seem to get the passenger vehicle oil filters right but half of the NHRA Pro Mod, Pro Stock, and Top Fuel guys run Fram oil filters. I wonder why that is. I am going to do some asking around from some of the local big NHRA guys. There is a pretty nice custom metal fab shop just up the street. They have a top fueler.

Comment

One of the major problems with the Fram filters that I recently was told about was that up until recently (or maybe they're going to do soon) they have NOT been using the anti-drainback valve that our cars NEED. This can cause major problems. I've been using Royal Purple and K&N oil filters and have been getting good performance, better mileage and better protection than conventional oil. From what I'm told by the local speed shop, the K&N oil filter has a very good filtration rate plus a high flow rate. I recommend them plus Royal Purple to everyone. Just my 2 cents.
                    Steve
                    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                      One of the major problems with the Fram filters that I recently was told about was that up until recently (or maybe they're going to do soon) they have NOT been using the anti-drainback valve that our cars NEED. This can cause major problems. I've been using Royal Purple and K&N oil filters and have been getting good performance, better mileage and better protection than conventional oil. From what I'm told by the local speed shop, the K&N oil filter has a very good filtration rate plus a high flow rate. I recommend them plus Royal Purple to everyone. Just my 2 cents.
                      Royal Purple + K&N =

Been using that combo since day 1, couldn't be happier
                      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Delco filters are great quality and priced fairly. I just cannot justify buying a mobil 1 filter... I could buy 3 delco filters that are just as good.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

MaraSport here,
                          I have 01 Camaro V6 and when I switched to the Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil (10W-30 recommended for my car). The guy said it was okay for 5000miles but my mom switch at the same time and she has ran it for 10,000+ miles already without another change so...

Oh, forgot I have ran mine for more than 7,000 miles already and this is my second oil change on the synthetic...

Later,
                          Mara
                          Thanks
                          MaraSport

Comment

I recently just did a 7000+ mile tour on Royal Purple and didn't really notice it lol. I'm pretty religious on oil changes, just slipped me this once. I noticed her get a little more jumpy now, but other than that she was fine. Royal Purple may be a little more expensive, but well worth it.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                            X