Solid rollers and Knock sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid rollers and Knock sensor

Im looking for someone with experience with solid roller lifters. Will I have to remove my Knock sensor? Will the knock sensor pick-up the noise from the lifters and rockers and retard the timing? Is there a knock sensor that can be bout that will not pick-up this noise but pick-up a real knock?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

I run a solid roller (Comp Cams cam, Crower "cutaway" solid rollers) and it is extremely noisy ( ). I do not run a knock sensor. I discussed it with the shop that built my engine, and they said that they had seen people try and build a filter to selectively exclude the valve train noise, and that they had not seen anyone accomplish any good results.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      I run a solid roller (Comp Cams cam, Crower "cutaway" solid rollers) and it is extremely noisy ( ). I do not run a knock sensor. I discussed it with the shop that built my engine, and they said that they had seen people try and build a filter to selectively exclude the valve train noise, and that they had not seen anyone accomplish any good results.
      How often do you have to set valve lash? Have you had lifter failure? I wanted to know what the pros and cons of moving from a retro fit hyd. roller to a mech. roller. I have herd that you must re lash every 3000-5000 miles or every 5000-8000 KM, basicaly every oil change. How do you account for detonation, just in your spark curve in the PCM? I dont want to have to move to an aftermarket engine managment system.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

There have been lots of attempts to "filter" false triggering harmonics from being interpreted by the KS. Teflon tape and all. Solid lifters are noticeably louder for sure. The KS can be "deleted" from use by the PCM, but probably wouldn't be a good idea on a daily driver.

The frequency required to set valve lash on a solid roller valvtrain will greatly depend on the amount of lift your camshaft will produce. Under .650", every oil change just verify valve lash. Over .650", you will need to verify lash more often.

Keep in mind that many other things will need to be upgraded in order to accomodate a solid roller setup. Springs, larger diameter pushrods, modified heads to accomodate larger diameter pushrods, and of course a solid roller grind camshaft. Piston to valve clearance will also become much less tolerant due to the increased effective lift.

As long as you don't go to wild with your solid roller cam selection, you will be able to make considerably more HP than a hydraulic roller setup and it will be plenty reliable on the street.

Comment

Working...
        X