Straight Pipe Vs. SLP Loudmouth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Pipe Vs. SLP Loudmouth

After I bought and installed my loudmouth a few months ago my friend with a 2004 Mach 1 decided that he wanted to make his car sound like mine. He took it in and just had the mufflers cut off and straight piped. His car sounds just about the same as mine except for it pops quite a bit more. Now he thinks that he got the better deal than me because he paid $70 to have his mufflers cut off while I paid $400 for the whole SLP catback. I thought that I was paying for performance as well as sound. Am I wrong or would I have noticed the same perfomance gain from the removal of my mufflers?
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

No expert here, but the resonator on the loudmouth is a contributing factor to the kind of sound that it makes. I tried a custom set-up similar to that of the loudmouth by using a bullet muffler instead of the loudmouth itself, and the sound was nothing like that of the LM. I saved a bunch of money, but didn't quite achieve the LM sound. Personally I think the LM is overpriced for what it actually is. I was looking into the resonator of LM the other day and noticed that it was completly hollow, which gave me more of a reason to believe it was overpriced. I always thought the resonator on those things had some kind of a wire mesh to quiet it down, but thats not true. I paid $280 shipped for mine, so I dont feel too bad about it ! I cant wait to install it and hear it for myself!
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
      I paid $280 shipped for mine, so I dont feel too bad about it !
      Where did you find it for $280? Did that include the installation S-pipe that is needed to install it on the 1993-1997 f-bodies?
      1993 Formula - 99k
      Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

As AmericanZ28 said, the resonator is merely a larger piece of pipe. The sound, however, comes from the size of the pipes that are used. I've got a Sweet Thunder steel pack in place of the resonator on my setup and it sounds almost the same as the regular LM from what I've heard. If you compare the price of the LM to the rest of the cat-backs available for our cars, the LM is by far one of the, if not the, cheapest available. The LM is essentially the same as your friend's straight-through setup. His pops more because of the resonator. Granted, its hollow, but it uses the choke point at the end of the resonator to allow for the cancellation of some of the noise and popping. As far as performance goes, they're about the same except that I believe his system is a true-dual from the factory. Just sucks for him the 4.6 sucks lol.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
          Where did you find it for $280? Did that include the installation S-pipe that is needed to install it on the 1993-1997 f-bodies?
          Sorry the S-pipe is only needed for the 1993-1995 f-bodies.
          1993 Formula - 99k

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
            As far as performance goes, they're about the same except that I believe his system is a true-dual from the factory. Just sucks for him the 4.6 sucks lol.
            Yes his is a true dual from the factory. So are you saying that my performance would have benefited just as much if I would have just cut my muffler off and put a straight pipe in place of it and his performance would remain the same if he decided to put a cat-back on his Mach 1 right now?
            1993 Formula - 99k

Comment

No. His is roughly the same as yours since he has two 2+" pipes, whereas you have one 3". The opposite would give him 2 2.5" or 3" pipes whereas you would have a single 2.5" or 2.75" pipe, crossflow muffler and 2" or 2.5" tailpipes. The mudstain does have the advantage of true-duals over us, but have a more restrictive air intake setup and weaker motor. While the Mach 1 does have the scoop, I believe it also has the stock intake plumbing as well. Believe me, your LM purchase was not in vain
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Bottom line : Muffler does not increase performance
                '95 Trans Am 6spd- broke
                '77 dodge custom 150 2wd tire destroyer- 440ci w/edelbrock intake, thorley headers, 2000 stall, ported heads and surface rust
                2005 Kawasaki z1000 - getting too cold for that though

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
                  I should have probably been a little more descriptive, but I bought mine used off of ebay. The guy didn't have it on his car for too long though, and is in excellent shape. I even got all the original hardware too!
                  1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

When I installed my catback, and I pulled the stock exhaust off from the cat-back, I started it up just to see how loud it would be. Wasn't very loud. I don't think just cutting your muffler off would give you the same sound as the loudmouth.
                    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                    X