Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header coating time...

Hey everyone,
    Since my car is down for the season anyway, I am going to send the headers out to get them ceramic coated. I am tempted to just go to JetHot for the coating because they are a big company that has been around a while, but I was wondering if you guys had any sugestions on who to go to? I am a frequent member of Thirdgen.org. They have a sponsor called ACS (American Coating Specialties) it seems that they have ripped of ALOT of people at thirdgen.org.

Also, the headers that I have have the AIR tubes on them. I have recently removed the air equipment from my car and I would love to get rid of the air tubes. Can I just cut the tubes off, fill the holes in with weld & grind them down smooth again?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

I've had 2 sets of coated headers. First was a set of JBA's that had been coated by Airborn. Quality was exceptional. I sold them after maybe 3 years and they looked just like new. Then I bought a set of used AS&M's that had been coated by HPC. They were about 3 years old and looked almost as good as the JBA's. I still have them, now 7 years old, and they are starting to show thw first signs of rust around the welds where the primaries meet the flanges.

A lot of people used to speak very highly of Paul Barry Motorsports for custom coating. A buddy of mine did get one set that seemed to rust quickly, and Paul Barry replaced the coating - not real convenient though. But in genereal, the guy's work gets good reviews.

http://www.pbmotorsports.com/

For the best "technical" quality, Swains thermal barrier coating is probably at the top. But it is a fairly "dull" looking white finish... an excellent TBC, but not the best for appearance. But Swain is the standard for internal engine thermal coatings as well. I have their moly coating on my piston skirts.

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html

As far as Jet Hot.... I have never personally owned a set of Jet Hot coated headers. But I do moderate threee different F-Body boards, and post regularly on a couple of others, and I have seen posts about a lot of problems with the Jet Hot coating. Their work seemed to go downhill when they started selling the Hooker headers themselves. Over the past two years there seems to be a lot of posts about rust appearing a month or two after the headers are installed.

I have a set of Hooker LT's that need to be coated, and I'm sort of debating whether to use Airborn or Paul Barry.

It's possible to cut and patch before you coat. Just make sure the welder knos what he is doing.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I've had a jet hot coated downpipe on my GN for years. Never had the slightest problem with it. I have heard of some issues with jet hot a while back about the apparent lake of longevity with certain coatings, but my "old" coated pipes seem to be tough as iron with not a speck of rust.

Comment

My AS@M headers are HPC coated, and are starting to rust, but they were coated before I even bought the car, so it has held up O.K.

I recommend swaintech....my pistons are coated by the Swains and I couldnt be happier with them. I would agree with Injuneer that theyve got the science down......they can keep the heat where it needs to be better than anyone else...
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Ive heard nothing but excellent feedback from local guys in regards to the Swaintech coatings.

Comment

Working...
          X