tranny leaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny leaking

Steve and I spotted a couple of drops of transmission fluid below the T/A. I crawled underneath and spotted a small layer/collection of fluid on one of the tranny cooler lines. I also see a thin layer on the bottom of the torque converter area.

Is this a sign of a seal, or could it be a line that's loose? I haven't touched it ever since it was rebuilt and beefed up. Maybe this will give me an excuse to jump to a 2800 from 2200 stall
    Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Could very well possible be a loose hard line at the radiator. Also while your down there, just make sure all of the tranny pan bolts are tight. Just don't overtighten them. I had some of the front pan bolts come loose and some of the tranny fluid worked it's way onto the flexplate and was all over the pan and hard lines.

Comment

Thanks Kev...I will take a close look at the line tomorrow. I'll also try to check the bolts holding the pan. And by the way, at the top right, you'll notice a C-clamp temporarily holding the y-pipe (plus 1 other bolt) before I get the SLP headers/y-pipe. Talk about a 2 cent job
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

thats no tranny leak!

RMS - rear main seal

that oil is brown (motor oil), not red (tranny)

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
        Steve and I spotted a couple of drops of transmission fluid below the T/A. I crawled underneath and spotted a small layer/collection of fluid on one of the tranny cooler lines. I also see a thin layer on the bottom of the torque converter area.

Is this a sign of a seal, or could it be a line that's loose? I haven't touched it ever since it was rebuilt and beefed up. Maybe this will give me an excuse to jump to a 2800 from 2200 stall
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Nope. Do not rely on the pictures for color. It is red transmission fluid, not the GREEN Castrol I recently put in the motor. In addition, the fluid is thin, unlike oil, and does not smell like oil. So we've concluded, it's transmission fluid. Thanks for the reply though....

Comment

Well, I still think the stuff on the left at least is a RMS leak. My whole underneath
            is coated there.

The tranny cooler line could be because the line fittings aren't tight enough.

I have that problem on my car.. The fittings started to round and I didn't
            buy new lines.

Good luck.

Nope. Do not rely on the pictures for color. It is red transmission fluid, not the GREEN Castrol I recently put in the motor. In addition, the fluid is thin, unlike oil, and does not smell like oil. So we've concluded, it's transmission fluid. Thanks for the reply though....

Comment

Are you sure you don't have the intake leak? Mine was completely coated just like you describe due to the infamous intake manifold leak. I fixed it a couple months ago and everything is bone try in terms of oil. It felt good to finally get that done.

The only action I see is this:

The bottom line is a bit wet and sludged, and the top one is dry as a bone. I don't know if that is enough to cause a drop on the ground per day though And I have no idea how to get a wrench, socket or any kind of tool in there to tighten it.

Comment

I always wondered what kind of oil pressure is going through those tranny coller lines? Dose it depend on the shifts and the cars velocity?
                1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by alenstein
                  I always wondered what kind of oil pressure is going through those tranny coller lines? Dose it depend on the shifts and the cars velocity?
                  Depends on engine rpm and gear. Book says 56-300psi at 1000rpm when checking pressures.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
                  '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
                  Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

No - no intake leak. I RTV'd it and cut a valley in the block and intake
                    with a dremmel tool..

Its a RMS on my car.. it sits for a long time in the winter/summer..
                    it is the original seal.. I should of replaced it when I put a tranny/converter
                    in.

I tried to retighten those lines.. very difficult.. I think the tranny has
                    to be disconnected from the block.. I would not worry about a few drops.
                    Live with it until you pull the tranny out again.

Are you sure you don't have the intake leak? Mine was completely coated just like you describe due to the infamous intake manifold leak. I fixed it a couple months ago and everything is bone try in terms of oil. It felt good to finally get that done.

The only action I see is this:

The bottom line is a bit wet and sludged, and the top one is dry as a bone. I don't know if that is enough to cause a drop on the ground per day though And I have no idea how to get a wrench, socket or any kind of tool in there to tighten it.

Comment

Thanks for the advice....I would have wasted my time and went nuts trying to tighten that thing. That stinks about your RMS leak...I was afraid I had that too when the whole underside was coated. Luckily when I fixed the intake, I found a semi-collapsed lifter so I had no problem in putting a set in.

Comment

Working...
                      X