Centerforce clutch vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centerforce clutch vibration

I installed a centerforce dual friction clutch in my trans am about 400 miles ago,i have been fighting a vibration problem since i put the 4.10 gears in but i had finally got the car quiet.I have noticed the since i put the clutch in in could feel some vibration, but due to break in i wasnt driving the car very hard until now.I am getting a bad vibration at about 4000 rpm in 3rd and 4th, and at higher speeds in 5th and sixth.I have cked the driveline, u joints are good,motor mounts are good.It didnt really hit me till tonight that maybe its the clutch.I lined up the dots when installing the clutch to the flywheel so i installed it right.The pilot bushing looked good,i didnt replace it.With the car in neutral you can rev from 2000-4000 rpm and the vibration gets more consistent and is a constant vibration,with the clutch pressed in, in neutral at 4000 rpm the vibration lopes,in and out and it feel like its right under the console.Im guessing that the clutch is out of balance??If it is how do you set it, i can move it but im afraid it will get worse.If anyone has any ideas let me know,i thought it was driveline but now that i think back it started after the clutch install.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

lined up the dots? Please tell me you used an alignment tool to install the clutch.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

We used an alignment tool to install, i was referring to the yellow paint dab on the pressure plate and the flywheel.The instruction says to get them close as possible.We aligned them just like the instructions said.Im just wondering if maybe its out of balance still though?
      95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Comment

Throw out bearing?

Comment

The clutch came with a new throw out bearing on it so i wouldnt think it would be bad but with my luck ya never know.I know im gonna have to pull the tranny out again, im hopin to get some direction so i only have to do it once.Thanks for all the ideas so far,this site is awesome!

Comment

Did you happen to re-surface the flywheel before the the clutch assembly was reinstalled?

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
            lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

Comment

Originally posted by 01SS
              Did you happen to re-surface the flywheel before the the clutch assembly was reinstalled?
              Excellent point, I didn't even think to ask.

Did you grease the throwout bearing? Sounds like you could have a warped flywheel, or it could be out of balance.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

I did not resurface the flywheel but i was not getting any vibration before i changed the clutch.The flywheel looked good.I had also thought about that but if it were the flywheel wouldnt it have been doing this with the old clutch?The clutch operation is great, no chattering, good pedal and works well,as it did before the clutch change,i only changed the clutch because i had supercharged and wanted to have a stronger clutch .

Comment

Originally posted by 95 GA/TA
                  I did not resurface the flywheel but i was not getting any vibration before i changed the clutch.The flywheel looked good..
                  Sounds like that's your problem. Rule of thumb is to always have your flywheel resurfaced whenever you swap out a clutch. Regardless of weather it worked fine before or not. Looks are always deceiving, you couldn't see unless it was really warped.

Not 100% sure, but I would say that you need to have that flywheel turned. Either way, the trans has to come off.

Anybody else back me up, or am I way off??

Comment

Yep, its always a good idea to have the flywheel turned with a fresh clutch.

Comment

Working...
                    X